Sunday, January 24, 2016

Verse of the Day 1/24


John 16:23-24  In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. 24 Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive,that your joy may be full.  English Standard Version (ESV)

I read today's verses in preparation for our men's Bible study which meets on Monday morning, these will be the key verses in the passage we'll study.  In the passage Jesus is preparing the disciples for his immanent departure and telling them that after he returns, once he has risen the Holy Spirit will be sent (occurring at Pentecost) and they would have a new way of connecting with the Father.

You may have wondered why we pray "in Jesus name", it is revealed here.  Jesus is saying that when he returns from the dead that they'd be assured of his abiding presence by the Spirit that will be given them that will be with them and in them.  Their requests and ours no longer would go through Jesus directly to the Father and whatever we ask in His name will be given.

The Message (below) does a good job of explaining this by stating "This is what I want you to do: Ask the Father for whatever is in keeping with the things I've revealed to you."  He will give us what we ask for when it is "in keeping" with what is revealed to us in His Word and that would bring glory to the Father and the Son.  This is based on a close relationship with Him.  In this kind of relationship He knows what you need before you asking and your asking shows that you are in step, in accordance with His will.

May we have such a "closer walk" in our lives, to ask and to receive that our joy, ours and His may be full.

I am weak but Thou heart strong
Jesus keep me from all wrong
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk let me walk close to Thee
Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be dear Lord, let it be
When my feeble life is over
Time for me shall be no more
Guide me gently safely over
To Thy kingdom shores to the shores
Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be dear Lord, let it be  (Patsy Cline)

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 16:23-24The Message (MSG)

21-23 "When a woman gives birth, she has a hard time, there's no getting around it. But when the baby is born, there is joy in the birth. This new life in the world wipes out memory of the pain. The sadness you have right now is similar to that pain, but the coming joy is also similar. When I see you again, you'll be full of joy, and it will be a joy no one can rob from you. You'll no longer be so full of questions.

23-24 "This is what I want you to do: Ask the Father for whatever is in keeping with the things I've revealed to you. Ask in my name, according to my will, and he'll most certainly give it to you. Your joy will be a river overflowing its banks!

  

No comments: