Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Verse of the Day 1/5

Verse of the Day 1/5

Psalm 19:12-13  How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart?

    Cleanse me from these hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant from deliberate sins!
    Don't let them control me.
Then I will be free of guilt   New Living Translation (NLT)


Each person is different with different weaknesses that trip us up and may cause us to stumble.  In this Psalm David acknowledges his weaknesses, those hidden faults that may not be obvious to those around him.  He knows from past experience that these things are "lurking" inside of him.  He asks God to cleanse him from these things.

The Christian "society" is full of well known people, some in established positions in the church who have suddenly "fallen".  Most likely it wasn't a case of suddenly falling into something but more likely it started with those things "lurking" within them that weren't dealt with and weren't brought before the Lord in the way David did.

That's the importance of communicating with God, being in His Word and in prayer on a daily basis.  His Word will expose things that are in our hearts and give us the opportunity to clear the air and be open and honest with God and He in turn will give us the strength to overcome these things lurking within us and help us to avoid unintentional and deliberate sins.

The verses are a good prayer to offer to God to start the day, any day or each and every day from a true heart.  it doesn't have to be word for word, but The Message paraphrase would be a good one:
 
 "Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh!
    Keep me from stupid sins,
    from thinking I can take over your work
May He keep us from "stupid sins" today.

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my thoughts;
And see if there be any wicked way in me;
Lead me in the way, lead me in the way,
Lead me in the way everlasting.  from Psalm 139:

Blessings,

Mike

Psalm 19:12-14The Message (MSG)

11-14 
There's more: God's Word warns us of danger

    and directs us to hidden treasure.
Otherwise how will we find our way?
    Or know when we play the fool?
Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh!
    Keep me from stupid sins,
    from thinking I can take over your work;
Then I can start this day sun-washed,
    scrubbed clean of the grime of sin.
These are the words in my mouth;
    these are what I chew on and pray.
Accept them when I place them
    on the morning altar,
O God, my Altar-Rock,
    God, Priest-of-My-Altar.

No comments: