Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Verse of the Day 2/10

Genesis 5:23-24  Thus all the days of Enoch were 365 years. 24 Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him.   English Standard Version (ESV)
Yesterday we considered Jesus' prayer for His disciples and for us in John 17 that we "be with Him" with the Father and Holy Spirit in heaven to experience the glory of God firsthand.  I read today's passage in Genesis 5 in a devotional this morning by Greg Laurie.  The story of Enoch has been one that had caught me interest and has intrigued me from the first time I read it as a child.  It is simple yet not easy to fully understand.  I like the way that The Message puts it below, "Enoch walked steadily with God." 
One of the mysteries of Genesis chapter 5 is how corrupt the world could be or had become.  After Methuselah, who lived to be the oldest person in recorded history, came the flood, the first judgment.  It was during this time that Enoch walked with God, closely, communicating and being with Him daily.  It was God's choice to remove him from the corrupt world.  Regarding "for God took him" Greg Laurie writes, "this simply means that every day, Enoch would get up and take a walk with God.  Apparently he did this for many years.  But one day, God effectively said, "Enoch, we're closer to my house than yours.  Why don't you come on home with me."
Today is the first day of Lent, a time that points toward Easter and is normally a time when many Christians will give up something for God during these 40 days.  Many will "give up" some kind of food or drink, but what about giving up some of your time, day by day to "walk steadily with God", to desire a closer walk with Him?
I am weak but Thou art strong
Jesus keep me from all wrong
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee
 
Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be dear Lord, let it be
 
When my feeble life is over
Time for me will be no more
Guide me gently, safely over
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore
In my daily reading through the Psalms, today's passage was Psalm 48 which closes with a picture of walking with God and sharing our experience with the next generation.

Psalm 48:12-14  English Standard Version (ESV)

12 Walk about Zion, go around her,
    number her towers,
13 consider well her ramparts,
    go through her citadels,
that you may tell the next generation
14     that this is God,
our God forever and ever.
    He will guide us forever.[a]
 
Walk with God in His Word, communicate, pray with Him, also take note of His handiwork in creation, not the least of which are His people.  Learn to cultivate that closer walk, like Enoch.  Perhaps we will still be alive when Jesus comes again.  Wouldn't it be great to be walking with Him when He'd decide that "we're closer to His house than ours" and bring us home?
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Genesis 5:23-24The Message (MSG)
21-23 When Enoch was sixty-five years old, he had Methuselah. Enoch walked steadily with God. After he had Methuselah, he lived another 300 years, having more sons and daughters. Enoch lived a total of 365 years.
24 Enoch walked steadily with God. And then one day he was simply gone: God took him.
 
 
 
 
Blessings, Mike Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: