Sunday, February 14, 2016

Verse of the Day 2/15

Verse of the Day 2/15

1 Corinthians 13:4-5  Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;    English Standard Version (ESV)

Today is Valentines Day and I'm sure that love will be expressed more often today than any day of the year, but the love that is expressed in word will be hard pressed to measure up what  the Apostle Paul writes in this famous "love passage" from 1 Corinthians 13.

Years ago, the rock group Foreigner sang a song saying, " I want to know what love is, I want you to show me.  I want to feel what love is, I know you can show me."  Unfortunately, outside of God's love and learning to love as only He can love, we will not see it displayed in this world.  All too often the love we seek is characterized by selfishness and what we want.

Pastor Jame MacDonald writes, "We never have to work at being selfish; it's right there, barking for our attention.  And nothing brings our selfishness to the surface than living in close proximity with people.  Love conquers this obstacle.  Characteristics of selfishness are being impatient, mean, demanding, envious, boastful, unreasonable, and resentful.  But love is "patient and  kind... does not envy or boast.....is not  arrogant or rude.... does not insist on its own way..... is not irritable or resentful".

What does our love look like?  Are we barking for attention or are we able to "show what love is" as described in this chapter?  May we strive in God's power, in His grace to show God's love and to be the person that:

Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.  1 Corinthians 13:7 The Message


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

1 Corinthians 13:4-7The Message (MSG)

3-7 If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.

  

No comments: