Saturday, February 13, 2016

Verse of the Day 2/13


John 8:47   Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God."  English Standard Version (ESV)

As I read the Bible different verses catch my attention, sometimes I don't know the reason.  I may have read the verse countless times before but for some reason for that day, for that time I am drawn to it, stop and consider it.  I usually read from a study Bible where I have notes from a commentator (usually John MacArthur) but also from other pastors and teachers that I have posted  with the verse in my "e-Bible".

When I looked for comments on this verse in  my Bible, there weren't any.  Why would that be?  Probably because it is so straightforward that it doesn't need a lot  of additional explanation.   Stop and think of that statement "whoever is of God hears the words of God".  It should beg the question of us, do I hear the words of God?  When was the last time that I could say that I heard God speaking directly to me through His Word or perhaps through His Word being expounded in a message?  Has it been a day, week, month or even years?

There is something that God has for you to do today, for such a time as this.  His Word is there to speak to you, to challenge you, encourage you and yes, quite often to humble you.

I did look the verse up in another commentary that I have on the Gospel of John by F.F. Bruce.  He writes, "whoever is a child of God will give evidence of that fact by hearing - and recognizing- the words of  God.  Jesus' present words anticipate what He was later to say to Pilate - "Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice."  John 18:37  It goes well with The Message paraphrase of verse 47, "Anyone on God's side listens to God's words. This is why you're not listening—because you're not on God's side."   Whose side are we on?  If we are ready to listen, to hear and do, He will have something for us "for such a time as this" for now "and all the days He gives."


For such a time as this
I was placed upon the earth
To hear the voice of God
And do His will, whatever it is

For such a time as this
For now and all the days He gives
I am here, I am here and I am His
For such a time as this

Can't change what's happened till now
But we can change what will be
By living in holiness
That the world will see Jesus        -   (For Such a Time as This - Wayne Watson)
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 8:47The Message (MSG)

42-47 "If God were your father," said Jesus, "you would love me, for I came from God and arrived here. I didn't come on my own. He sent me. Why can't you understand one word I say? Here's why: You can't handle it. You're from your father, the Devil, and all you want to do is please him. He was a killer from the very start. He couldn't stand the truth because there wasn't a shred of truth in him. When the Liar speaks, he makes it up out of his lying nature and fills the world with lies. I arrive on the scene, tell you the plain truth, and you refuse to have a thing to do with me. Can any one of you convict me of a single misleading word, a single sinful act? But if I'm telling the truth, why don't you believe me? Anyone on God's side listens to God's words. This is why you're not listening—because you're not on God's side."


  

No comments: