Friday, March 18, 2016

Verse of the Day 3/18

Verse of the Day 3/18

Exodus 6:2-3 God spoke to Moses and said to him, "I am the Lord. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by my name the Lord I did not make myself known to them.   English Standard Version (ESV)

One of the first things I read in my devotions this morning was from Psalm 83:

Psalm 83:1 O God, do not keep silence;

    do not hold your peace or be still, O God!    English Standard Version (ESV)

There are times in our lives, amidst the tumult of life where God calls us, tells us to "be still" and know that He is God (Psalm 46;10).  The main requirement in doing so is to believe, to believe that He is God, that He is in control and that nothing is impossible for Him, and as a result for us.  Like Moses, we may question our own ability and we may question His timing, but if we truly are His and He is LORD, He will make Himself known to us.  While we are told to be still, we are to be calling Him to action and not be still, that too is believing.

Tony Dungy in his daily devotional "Uncommon Life" writes, "But believe?  That's something we can all do.  Believe that Christ can heal that loved one who is sick.  Believe He can provide that job that seems impossible to find.  Believe He can change people's hearts.  It's not necessary to understand how He is going to do all those things, but believe that He can!  There is so much evidence of His life, His death, and His resurrection, it's hard not to".

This time during Lent, this time before Easter is a good time to be reading through Exodus.  In the passage below we read, and God says to His people and to us, "I will deliver you, I will redeem you with great acts,  I will redeem you with an outstretched arm, and I will be your God, and you shall know that I Am the LORD your God.

A few lines from the Rich Mullins song "My Deliverer" come to mind.

My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by
I will never doubt His promise though I doubt my heart, I doubt my eyes
My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by
He will never break His promise
Though the stars should break faith with the sky
My Deliverer is coming - my Deliverer is standing by
Has He made Himself known to you as your Deliverer? We may at times doubt our hearts and doubt our eyes, but deep down may we continue to   believe that He will not break His promises and He will make Himself known to us.  He is ready, He is near, and He is God.  --   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Exodus 6:2-8The Message (MSG)

2-6 God continued speaking to Moses, reassuring him, "I am God. I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as The Strong God, but by my name God (I-Am-Present) I was not known to them. I also established my covenant with them to give them the land of Canaan, the country in which they lived as sojourners. But now I've heard the groanings of the Israelites whom the Egyptians continue to enslave and I've remembered my covenant. Therefore tell the Israelites:

6-8 "I am God. I will bring you out from under the cruel hard labor of Egypt. I will rescue you from slavery. I will redeem you, intervening with great acts of judgment. I'll take you as my own people and I'll be God to you. You'll know that I am God, your God who brings you out from under the cruel hard labor of Egypt. I'll bring you into the land that I promised to give Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and give it to you as your own country. I AM God."

  

No comments: