Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Verse of the Day 3/22

Verse of the Day 3/22/16
Revelation 3:20     Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.   English Standard Version (ESV)
I'm posting this verse today because it has come up repeatedly to me in the last few days.  Our Pastor Bob referenced it in his sermon on Sunday.  Yesterday I was driving to SC and heard John Piper expound on it in a message that I listened to while driving.  It was also the subject of a devotional yesterday by David Jeremiah.  Bob and David Jeremiah both referenced a painting by artist William Hunt, "The Light of the World" which showed Jesus knocking at the door, a door without a handle on the outside.  It was the picture of Christ knocking on the door of the church, and in the case of the church in Laodicea here in Revelation 3, a "lukewarm" church
The verse is often used in personal evangelism and I get that, but the situation at hand involves the church.  Jesus is knocking and says "if anyone hears" and opens the door He will come in.  The problem is, is there anyone, anyone listening?
The church was wealthy just as the city was wealthy and known for banking, wool and medicine.  But the water was lukewarm.  Water flowed to it from nearby Hierapolis known for hot springs.  Colossae was known for its cold refreshing mountain stream water.  But by the time it reached Laodicea it was neither.  Jesus said "I wish that you were hot or cold".  The cold is refreshing the hot springs are soothing and have medicinal qualities.  It is a picture for the church.  He wished that they were hot or cold, bringing refreshment or healing to those in need, but it did neither.  Why, Jesus was knocking but no one was answering.  Jesus was on the outside and all that He heard in response to His call was "crickets", no one answering.
The call is still going out to His churches.  Do we, will we be ones in our church to open the door, to be the cold water or the hot spring for someone?  Pray that we may be the ones who hear Him knocking.  Jesus says, "The people I love, I call to account" V.19 The Message.
 
We live in a rich society with many people thinking or realizing "I have everything I need" and that because of this they are lukewarm in their lives and in their faith.  Jesus is calling may He awaken the ears of His church.
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Revelation 3:19-22  The Message (MSG)
19 "The people I love, I call to account—prod and correct and guide so that they'll live at their best. Up on your feet, then! About face! Run after God!
20-21 "Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I'll come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I, having conquered, took the place of honor at the side of my Father. That's my gift to the conquerors!
22 "Are your ears awake? Listen. Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches.
 
 
 
 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: