Sunday, March 6, 2016

Verse of the Day 3/6


Jeremiah 32:40-41   I will make with them an everlasting covenant, that I will not turn away from doing good to them. And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me. 41 I will rejoice in doing them good, and I will plant them in this land in faithfulness, with all my heart and all my soul.   English Standard Version (ESV)

Through the ages God's people have been "prone to wander", to stray away from the God who loves and cares for them.  It was no different with the people of Israel and Judah than it is today with Christians wherever they are found.  But through the ages, God has called His wandering people back.

We've considered some of God's promises recently and this weekend, this day is a good one to reflect on them.  Reading today's verses make it easy to do.  Take a look at the things that God will do, He says:
  • I will not turn away from doing good to them
  • I will put the fear (the reverence) for me in their hearts
  • I will rejoice in doing them good
  • I will plant them in the land of faithfulness "with all my heart and my soul"
All those things for we who are prone to wander.  The old hymn, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" came to mind.  I changed the order of the stanzas below.  The first two deal with our tendency to wander while I put the original first stanza after these.  If we've found ourselves wandering may we call out to him to "tune our hearts" to Him, to turn back to Him in worship and praise today.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood;
How His kindness yet pursues me
Mortal tongue can never tell,
Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose me
I cannot proclaim it well.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Verse 4 states, "I will plant them in this land of faithfulness".  It is a reminder that we don't plant ourselves into His grace, He plants us in a place that we may flourish.  May we be like the psalmist and "thrill to do God's Word' and "chew on Scripture day and night".


Psalm 1:1-3The Message (MSG)

How well God must like you—
    you don't hang out at Sin Saloon,
    you don't slink along Dead-End Road,
    you don't go to Smart-Mouth College.

2-3 Instead you thrill to God's Word,
    you chew on Scripture day and night.
You're a tree replanted in Eden,
    bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
    always in blossom.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Jeremiah 32:40-41The Message (MSG)

37-40 "'Watch for this! I will collect them from all the countries to which I will have driven them in my anger and rage and indignation. Yes, I'll bring them all back to this place and let them live here in peace. They will be my people, I will be their God. I'll make them of one mind and heart, always honoring me, so that they can live good and whole lives, they and their children after them. What's more, I'll make a covenant with them that will last forever, a covenant to stick with them no matter what, and work for their good. I'll fill their hearts with a deep respect for me so they'll not even think of turning away from me.

41 "'Oh how I'll rejoice in them! Oh how I'll delight in doing good things for them! Heart and soul, I'll plant them in this country and keep them here!'

  

No comments: