Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Verse of the Day 4/19

 
Exodus 33:13-14  Now therefore, if I have found favor in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favor in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people." 14 And he said, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." English Standard Version (ESV)
 
This passage from the book of Exodus is probably better known for Moses cry for God to show him His glory to which God responds by placing him in the cleft of the rock and covers him as He passes by.  Today's verses come earlier in the passage and reveal Moses heart before he makes that "show me your glory" prayer.  He is a leader, the leader of God's people, but He knows that He needs God's guidance, His direction and His favor if he is to be successful.  Should it be any less with us.
 
All too often we are busy running things on our own only calling on God to bail us out when things get out of hand.  Or, we may think that it would be neat for God to reveal Himself, to show us His glory without the preceding call to show us the way and to follow once He shows that.  How different would our days be If His presence would go with us?  He would give us the rest that we need.
 
Notice also that Moses is not simply praying for himself.  He is praying for his people, ultimately for God's people.  While we may pray for God to show us the way personally, is the same thing on our minds for our family, our children, our church our town and our nation.
 
Jesus is our shepherd, He will lead and guide us, and one day He will also bring us home to be with Him.  We will then see His full glory.  Until then, we should pray regularly, "if I have found favor in your sight, please show me your ways."
 
I'll close with another Fanny Crosby hymn, "He Hideth My Soul".   Being blind did not prevent her from calling God to show her the way.  Even though she couldn't see (physically), she saw Him more clearly than most.
 
  1. A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord,
    A wonderful Savior to me;
    He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock,
    Where rivers of pleasure I see.
Refrain:
He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock,
That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
He hideth my life in the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand.
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Exodus 33:12-17The Message (MSG)
12-13 Moses said to God, "Look, you tell me, 'Lead this people,' but you don't let me know whom you're going to send with me. You tell me, 'I know you well and you are special to me.' If I am so special to you, let me in on your plans. That way, I will continue being special to you. Don't forget, this is your people, your responsibility."
14 God said, "My presence will go with you. I'll see the journey to the end."
15-16 Moses said, "If your presence doesn't take the lead here, call this trip off right now. How else will it be known that you're with me in this, with me and your people? Are you traveling with us or not? How else will we know that we're special, I and your people, among all other people on this planet Earth?"
17 God said to Moses: "All right. Just as you say; this also I will do, for I know you well and you are special to me. I know you by name."
 
 
 
 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: