Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Verse of the Day 4/27

 
 
 
2 Corinthians 1:21-22   And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, 22 and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
I've been reading John Piper's new book "Peculiar Glory" and have been saving some notes from it on my iPad as I go along.  R. C. Sproul has said that "everyone's a theologian", they all hold onto their views of the Bible and is their own personal theology.  But if we are a Christian our faith doesn't originate from us, it is God's work.  He "establishes us" and prepares and enables us to do His work, His will.
 
In his book, John Piper writes, "It may sound strange, but "holding onto my view" was never the way I experienced it—at least not as I can remember. It felt more like my view of the Bible was holding onto me. Or, as I believe today, God was hold- ing onto me by clarifying and brightening and deepening my view of him in the Bible. I believe that's why the view I received from my parents remained more compelling than any competing view all along the way."
 
Reading today's verses brought me back to this quote from Piper.  The establishing us mentioned in today's verse is not God setting us up and then letting us go, it is God's work all along the way.  He does it by His Word, the Bible and His Spirit bringing back to our memory the things, the verses and passages that we have learned.  It is they that have a hold on us and not the other way around. 
 
This establishing and holding should also lead to continual growth.  We can never finish mining from His Word.  Something new is there for us any time we take the time to dig into it.  As we do, it will take a further hold a stronger hold on us. "By His Spirit he has stamped us with his eternal pledge – a sure beginning of what he is destined to complete"  (The Message).  He who started the work will be faithful to complete it.
 

Philippians 1:6  And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.   English Standard Version (ESV)

 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
2 Corinthians 1:21-22The Message (MSG)
20-22 Whatever God has promised gets stamped with the Yes of Jesus. In him, this is what we preach and pray, the great Amen, God's Yes and our Yes together, gloriously evident. God affirms us, making us a sure thing in Christ, putting his Yes within us. By his Spirit he has stamped us with his eternal pledge—a sure beginning of what he is destined to complete.
 
 
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: