Thursday, April 21, 2016

Verse of the Day 4/21

 
 
Philippians 4:11-12  Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. English Standard Version (ESV)
 
In this day and age contentment is not something, is not a word that would be used to describe a person's general state of being.  You won't find too many people who have contentment, a contented heart as their desire in daily life.  All of our advertising and much of what is taught in school and in society in general is "more".   Contentment is almost frowned upon, if you were to quote today's verse in many business settings many might feel that you don't have enough drive, don't have what it takes to succeed.
 
If you are familiar with Paul's life as we find in the scriptures, you know that he knew success, hardship and everything in between.  The setting for writing this letter was being in prison which would eventually lead to his execution.  Still he found contentment and this contentment points to the spiritual condition of his heart.
 
Thomas Watson writes:
 
"Contentment is . . .
  a remedy against all our troubles,
  an alleviation to all our burdens,
  the cure of to every worry.
 
As medicine works disease out of the body--so contentment works trouble out of the heart. Holy contentment keeps the heart from fainting. Contentment is the golden shield, which beats back all discouragements.
 
Contentment, though it is not properly a grace (it is rather, a disposition of mind,) yet in it there is a happy mixture of all the graces. Contentment is a most precious compound! The ingredients put into it are faith, patience, meekness, humility, etc. "
 

As Watson states, contentment isn't a grace, it is a "disposition of mind" a mindset.  And this mindset is what then allows Paul to write in the verse that follows Philippians 4:13  I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

 
Far from being a lack of drive, it shows a confidence that nothing is impossible with God at our side.
 
What are you facing today?  Is contentment something you desire?  As Watson states, "The ingredients put into it are faith, patience, meekness, humility, etc"  . Set your mind on it with the confidence of Paul that you "are glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess"(The Message) because you can do and face anything "through Christ who strengthens me". 
 
 
Blessings,
Mike
 
Philippians 4:11-14The Message (MSG)
Content Whatever the Circumstances
10-14 I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.
 
 
 
 
 
 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: