Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Verse of the Day 6/21

Genesis 8:22  As long as the earth remains, there will be planting and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night."   New Living Translation (NLT)

I like the changing of the seasons, as fall approaches I look forward to the changing of the leaves.  In summer I look forward to the longer days.  Today is the longest day of the year which gives us more time for outdoor summer activities from walking, playing golf, or just about any other recreational activity. 

Today's verse helps us put this changing of the seasons into perspective.  The promise of the seasons is part of God's covenant with Noah after the flood, to remind him of  God's faithfulness.  As I read the verse and thought of His faithfulness, an old familiar hymn came to mind.

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee,
Thou changest not, Thy compassion's, they fail not,
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided,
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

If you have the opportunity to take advantage of the "longest days" outdoors, take some time to think about God's faithfulness in the seasons and in the seasons of our lives, be reminded of His great faithfulness, mercy and love.  Think about what God has done for us in the past and His plans for us for the future.

Psalm 143:5 I remember the days of old;

    I meditate on all that you have done;
    I ponder the work of your hands.  English Standard Version (ESV)


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Genesis 8:20-22The Message (MSG)

20-21 Noah built an altar to God. He selected clean animals and birds from every species and offered them as burnt offerings on the altar. God smelled the sweet fragrance and thought to himself, "I'll never again curse the ground because of people. I know they have this bent toward evil from an early age, but I'll never again kill off everything living as I've just done.

22 For as long as Earth lasts,
        planting and harvest, cold and heat,
    Summer and winter, day and night
        will never stop."

  

No comments: