Monday, June 6, 2016

Verse of the Day 6/6

Verse of the Day 6/6
 
Proverbs 5:18   Let your fountain be blessed,
    and rejoice in the wife of your youth,   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Happy 35th anniversary to my lovely and beautiful wife Jean.  Anniversary's always bring you back to where things started in relationship.  You often here of young couples being "crazy in love", not as something foolish but indelible or willing to go against the odds or against the grain. 
 
The following verse in the ESV says "be intoxicated" with her love.  All too often in this day and age we are intoxicated, under the influence of many other things from alcohol or drugs, to power, prestige and wealth.  But what we really need is love and to be under its influence in the most crucial relationship in our married life.  All too often also, love is strained and sometimes fades and even fails.  But it need not be so.
 
I read the following in a post by Pastor Ray Ortlund the other day and I couldn't say it any better myself,
"Through the years, we men can savor the thought, "She will always be the wife of my youth.  She will always be that girl I fell in love with, that girl who made me drunk with love, that girl who said 'I do' and gave herself completely to me.  I am changing.  She is changing.  But this will never change — deep in my eyes, in my eyes alone, she will always be that girl." …Ortlund continues "Go back to where you both started together.  It was good.  It was biblical.  It was of God.  It's worth recovering and reverently preserving all the way to the end."
When we were dating we went to a concert and one of the bands that was playing was "Orleans" and we heard them play their hit song "You're Still the One". 
 
You're still the one
Who can scratch my itch
Still the one
And I wouldn't switch
We're still having fun
And you're still the one
 
Though I will change and she will change, she still is and will always be "that girl", she's still the one.
 
Blessings,
Mike
 

Proverbs 5:18-20The Message (MSG)

17-20 Your spring water is for you and you only,
    not to be passed around among strangers.
Bless your fresh-flowing fountain!
    Enjoy the wife you married as a young man!
Lovely as an angel, beautiful as a rose—
    don't ever quit taking delight in her body.
    Never take her love for granted!
 
 
 
 
 
Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: