Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Verse of the Day 6/28

 
 

Exodus 15:1-2

Then Moses and the people of Israel sang this song to the Lord, saying,
"I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously;
    the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song,
    and he has become my salvation;
this is my God, and I will praise him,
    my father's God, and I will exalt him.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
In  our  worship  service  this  past  Sunday we  sang the hymn "Be Still My Soul".  Whenever I  sing it  one line always stands out for me, it is the  line "be still my  soul, the wind and  waves still know His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below".  The hymn came to  both  my wife Jean  and  I  at different  times in some of the darkest hours  of our life. They drew us  to  Him and now serve as a reminder  of His  presence.
 
Our men's Bible  study just  completed  a video series about the Exodus and  today's verses were the  focal point of  the last study.  The  picture is  of Moses and  the  people  of  Israel facing the Red  Sea which they had  just crossed on  dry ground  but then God caused to  swallow up the enemy that had been pursuing  them, Pharaoh and his  army.  This song of triumph on that  shore also  looked  to God's  power over  the  wind and  the waves, and the  people rejoiced  in it.
 
The song pulls from  the  New Testament passage in Mark  4, where Jesus  had  just  calmed  the  storm and the disciples said to  one  another, "who then  is this, that even  the  winds and the sea obey Him?".  The answer was the same  for Moses, the disciples and for God's people of the  Old  and  New Testaments and  us today.  This, is our God.  The  One who  alone has the  power to do these things, for  us.
 
If our souls are troubled this morning  in world in a sea of trouble, may we call on Him  to  calm our  seas and at the same time  to wipe out those things that would  keep us from Him.
 
 He said to them, "Why are you so afraid? Have you still no faith?"41 And they were filled with great fear and said to one another, "Who then is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"  Mark 4:40-41   English Standard Version (ESV)
Take a  few minutes and perhaps sing a song in your heart or out loud, one like "How Great is  Our God", "Our God  is  an Awesome  God" or "Great is Thy Faithfulness" in worship to  this God who is "my God".
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Exodus 15:1-8The Message (MSG)

15 1-8 Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to God, giving voice together,
I'm singing my heart out to God—what a victory!
    He pitched horse and rider into the sea.
God is my strength, God is my song,
    and, yes! God is my salvation.
This is the kind of God I have

    and I'm telling the world!
This is the God of my father—

    I'm spreading the news far and wide!
God is a fighter,
    pure God, through and through.
Pharaoh's chariots and army
    he dumped in the sea,
The elite of his officers
    he drowned in the Red Sea.
Wild ocean waters poured over them;
    they sank like a rock in the deep blue sea.
Your strong right hand, God, shimmers with power;
    your strong right hand shatters the enemy.
In your mighty majesty
    you smash your upstart enemies,
You let loose your hot anger
    and burn them to a crisp.
At a blast from your nostrils
    the waters piled up;
Tumbling streams dammed up,
    wild oceans curdled into a swamp.
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: