Friday, June 3, 2016

Verse of the Day 6/3

Verse of the Day 6/3

Isaiah 41:10fear not, for I am with you;

    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  English Standard Version (ESV)

Sometimes as I read through the Bible I'll come across a familiar verse and pause as was the case when I read this verse this morning.  I know the meaning of the words themselves but sometimes it helps to read an actual definition to give a clearer picture of what is being said in the context of where it was used.  So it was with the word "dismayed".  Dismay is defined as "to break down the courage of completely, as by sudden danger or trouble; dishearten thoroughly;daunt."  I'd say that we've all been there at one time or another, perhaps even today.

When we feel dismayed, as a Christ follower we should realize that Jesus is there with us holding onto us keeping us steady with a firm grip.  It is easy to picture a parent  taking the hand of a child, steadying them, giving  them confidence.  David Jeremiah writes that "the most frequent promise in the Bible is I will be with you".  Why do you think that is?  Because we need to hear it, we need that assurance.

God is saying don't be troubled, I am with you but notice the other things that He offers here.  I will strengthen you, I will help you, and I will uphold you.  Our part is to to hold onto Him as He has a hold of us.

I'm reminded of the old hymn "Reach Out to Jesus" which describes the feeling of dismay and reminds us in song of the solution.  Today's verse even goes a step further, He's not  just reaching out, He's holding, upholding you.

Is your burden heavy as you bear it all alone?
Does the road you travel, harbor dangers yet unknown?
Are you growin' weary in the struggle of it all?
Jesus will help you with all his name you call
He's always there hearing every prayer, faithful and true
Walking by our side, in his love we hide all the day through
When you get discouraged just remember what to do
Reach out to Jesus, he's reaching out to you
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Isaiah 41:8-13The Message (MSG)

8-10 "But you, Israel, are my servant.
    You're Jacob, my first choice,
    descendants of my good friend Abraham.
I pulled you in from all over the world,
    called you in from every dark corner of the earth,
Telling you, 'You're my servant, serving on my side.
    I've picked you. I haven't dropped you.'
Don't panic. I'm with you.
    There's no need to fear for I'm your God.
I'll give you strength. I'll help you.
    I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.

11-13 "Count on it: Everyone who had it in for you
    will end up out in the cold—
    real losers.
Those who worked against you
    will end up empty-handed—
    nothing to show for their lives.
When you go out looking for your old adversaries
    you won't find them—
Not a trace of your old enemies,
    not even a memory.
That's right. Because I, your God,
    have a firm grip on you and I'm not letting go.
I'm telling you, 'Don't panic.
    I'm right here to help you.'

  

No comments: