Thursday, January 12, 2017

Verse of the Day 1/12

 
Verse of the Day 1/12/17
 
Exodus 33:13-14  Now therefore, if I have found favor in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favor in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people." 14 And he said, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Yesterday we considered what it means to be "poor in spirit" being totally dependent upon  God's grace, His mercy and  forgiveness in order to be in right  standing with Him.  Last night I attended a mid-week church  service and after going through prayer requests the pastor spoke from Genesis  4 and focused  on the  life  of  Cain, who committed  the  first murder in  history, killing his younger  brother Abel.  God didn't strike him dead but he was punished.  When confronted he responded with statements like "am I my brother's keeper"?  God caused him to have to work harder in tilling  the  ground and he was "driven away".  There is no indication that he ever returned to a relationship with God.  He would never find rest apart from God.
 
I had planned to use today's verse for today prior to hearing that message, but it shows a stark contrast between the heart of Moses and that of Cain.  Moses was not without sin,  but he sought to have a right relationship to God and God revealed Himself to Moses in a "big" way.  Moses response to God was in humility and wanting that close relationship with the Father revealing  his heart in today's  verses by asking the Lord to "show  me your way, that I may know you and find favor in your sight".  Shouldn't  that be the  way that we approach God?
 
God honored Moses  request even to the point of revealing His glory.  Moses life would  not be the same and his relationship with  God would  grow  closer and God promised that His presence would  go with Moses and  that  He would give him  rest, a rest that Cain would never have.
 
What is our attitude towards God?  Are we more  like  Cain or  more  like Moses?  May we be  like Moses asking God to show us His ways, to follow Him, feel His presence and to experience His rest.
 
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Exodus 33:13-23English Standard Version (ESV)

13 Now therefore, if I have found favor in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favor in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people." 14 And he said, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." 15 And he said to him, "If your presence will not go with me, do not bring us up from here.16 For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people? Is it not in your going with us, so that we are distinct, I and your people, from every other people on the face of the earth?"
17 And the Lord said to Moses, "This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name."18 Moses said, "Please show me your glory." 19 And he said, "I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name 'The Lord.' And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. 20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live." 21 And the Lord said, "Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, 22 and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen."
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: