Monday, January 30, 2017

Verse of the Day 1/30

 
Verse of  the Day 1/30
 
Matthew 25:21   His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant.[a] You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.'  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Our Pastor Bob spoke on the topic of "sweat equity" yesterday and one of the verses that was covered was from  Luke 16:10 in  which Jesus states, "if you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones".  (NLT).  Following along in my study Bible, I looked  up a couple of cross references and today's verse is  one  of them.
 
It used to be that the attitude of working hard and being rewarded for that hard work was commonly understood.  Things have changed and  it  is more  common today to hear the attitude, the  belief "pay me more  and  I'll  work harder".  The "old way" is becoming more and more  counter cultural in a day when everyone receives a participation trophy.  But we as Christians are called to it in the realm of our faith and beyond.  It is not the world's reward or recognition that we should be concerned about, it is God.
 
Be faithful in what He calls you to  do.  Do it joyfully, heartily unto  the  Lord and He will reward you in  His time.  We are not  doing it  for the  reward, but out of love  for Him.  I like  what how The  Message sums it up with Jesus' saying "from  now  on, be my partner", it made me  think  of the  following  hymn, may we sing it in being  faithful  in  our little  corner  of the world.  It is a picture  of "entering into the "joy of your master" (ESV).
 
Jesus, my Lord will love me forever,
From Him no pow'r of evil can sever,
He gave His life to ransom my soul;
Now I belong to Him; 

Chorus
Now I belong to Jesus,
Jesus belongs to me,
Not for the years of time alone,
But for eternity.

Once I was lost in sin's degradation,
Jesus came down to bring me salvation,
Lifted me up from sorrow and shame,
Now I belong to Him; 
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Matthew 25:21The Message (MSG)
19-21 "After a long absence, the master of those three servants came back and settled up with them. The one given five thousand dollars showed him how he had doubled his investment. His master commended him: 'Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.'
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: