Thursday, April 27, 2017

Verse of the Day 4/27

Verse of the Day 4/27

John 11:25-26

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life.[a] Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"  English Standard Version (ESV)

I read today's verses after reading another passage in John 20 where Thomas had not been present when Jesus first appeared to the disciples after the resurrection.  Thomas' famous quote was that unless I see the nail scars on his hands and place my fingers in his hands and side, I will never believe".  Jesus then appeared again and Thomas believed, and he made the greatest confession possible, "my Lord and my God".

In John 11, Lazarus had died.  Mary and Martha both believed that Jesus could have done something to prevent it had he been there.  But now, it was too late.  Martha makes her confession of faith in Jesus before he raised Lazarus.  She had an incomplete knowledge of Jesus, His power and the scope of His love.  She affirmed her faith in who he was but within the normal constraints of life and death  on earth.  He would soon give her a better understanding that would be beyond her wildest imagination.

As with Peter by the Sea of  Galilee, Jesus met Thomas and Martha where they were, there doubts and lack of full comprehension of who Jesus was and still is did not stand in the way of His mercy and  love for  them.  Edward Schillebeeckx writes, "The relationship of Jesus to His disciples (and to Mary and Martha) and also  to us today, in other words, the significance of Jesus for us, is included in the question "who do you say that I am"?  But this question, which is also topical for us today, nevertheless at the same time concerns the historical Jesus of Nazareth and not a cipher."

One of the greatest treasures of being in the Holy Land was to  walk where the historical Jesus walked, see where He lived, and know that He still lives today. His Word is true, it hasn't changed.  Schillebeeckx continues, "To  follow Jesus is at the same  time also to follow in the footsteps of His belief and trust in God which ultimately lie at the basis of this life."

We too may have our questions and lack a full comprehension of Jesus, but at the core may our response of faith to the question asked of Martha "do  you believe this?" be the same as hers, ""Yes, Master. All along I have believed that you are the Messiah, the Son of God who comes into the world."  V. 27 The Message

Blessings,

 

Mike

 

John 11:21-27The Message (MSG)

21-22 Martha said, "Master, if you'd been here, my brother wouldn't have died. Even now, I know that whatever you ask God he will give you."

23 Jesus said, "Your brother will be raised up."

24 Martha replied, "I know that he will be raised up in the resurrection at the end of time."

25-26 "You don't have to wait for the End. I am, right now, Resurrection and Life. The one who believes in me, even though he or she dies, will live. And everyone who lives believing in me does not ultimately die at all. Do you believe this?"

27 "Yes, Master. All along I have believed that you are the Messiah, the Son of God who comes into the world."

 

No comments: