Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Verse of the Day 4/5

 
Verse of  the Day 4/5
 
Psalm 143:7-8   Answer me quickly, O Lord!
    My spirit fails!
Hide not your face from me,
    lest I be like those who go down to the pit.
Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love,
    for in you I trust.
Make me know the way I should go,
    for to you I lift up my soul.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Our  days may be filled with challenges and tough decisions to make.  Today's psalm would be a good one to read, consider and follow in such days.  David was the  king of Israel, but before that, even when serving under king  Saul,  he faced tough situations and  choices and the psalms are filled with where he went, whom he sought in those times.  He had trusted confidant's such as Jonathan and Nathan  the prophet, but when  it boiled down to it, he  sought the Lord God, early and often.
 
When we face those days where we're "at the end of our rope" (v.7 The Message) we should go to, call on the Lord, seek His voice, seek His face.  But it shouldn't be only on those days, the psalmist says "If you wake me each morning with the sound of your loving voice,  I'll go to sleep each night trusting in you."  Can the same be said of us?
 
That time with God, in His Word, in prayer and considering what He has to say for us go a long way in preparing us to face the day "and know the way I should go" (ESV)
 
"A quiet hour spent alone with God at the beginning of the day, is the best beginning for the toils and cares of the day. A brief season of prayer, looking to God for wisdom and grace and strength, and seeking the assistance of the Holy Spirit--helps us to carry our religion into all of the events of the day. It brings joy and peace within the heart…..And as we place all our concerns in the care and keeping of the Lord, faithfully striving to do His will--we have a joyful trust that however dark or discouraging events may appear--our Father's hand is guiding everything, and will give the wisest direction to all our toils."  (author  unknown)
 
 
I'm reminded of the old hymn Sweet Hour of Prayer".  If we were willing to spend that "hour" in His Word, prayer and meditation how  much different would our days be and how much more confident would we be that He will lead us in the way we should go.
 
1.    Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
That calls me from a world of care,
And bids me at my Father's throne
Make all my wants and wishes known.
In seasons of distress and grief,
My soul has often found relief,
And oft escaped the tempter's snare,
By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!
2.    Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
The joys I feel, the bliss I share,
Of those whose anxious spirits burn
With strong desires for thy return!
With such I hasten to the place
Where God my Savior shows His face,
And gladly take my station there,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!   William  Walford
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Psalm 143:7-12The Message (MSG)
7-10 Hurry with your answer, God!
    I'm nearly at the end of my rope.
Don't turn away; don't ignore me!
    That would be certain death.
If you wake me each morning with the sound of your loving voice,
    I'll go to sleep each night trusting in you.
Point out the road I must travel;
    I'm all ears, all eyes before you.
Save me from my enemies, God
    you're my only hope!
Teach me how to live to please you,
    because you're my God.
Lead me by your blessed Spirit
    into cleared and level pastureland.
11-12 Keep up your reputation, God—give me life!
    In your justice, get me out of this trouble!
In your great love, vanquish my enemies;
    make a clean sweep of those who harass me.
And why? Because I'm your servant.
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: