Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Verse of the Day 4/4

Verse of the Day 4/4
 
 
Matthew 25:21   His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. aYou have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.'  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Many, if not most  of us, will have a yearly review in our jobs which will determine our raise or even whether or  not we will get a raise.  The outcome of  that  review and process can lift our spirits and  put a spring  in our  step and a renewed attitude  towards  work while a negative one may leave us dejected, disappointed  or worse, especially if we have "given it  our best".
 
In today's passage three servants come before their master for review and the master gives his appraisal and their reward based on their work, their actions which also revealed the  attitude in their  hearts.  Today's verse shows us  what a good review looks  like.   What I'd like to key in  on is how the verse ends, "enter into  the joy of  your  master".  It  is an  invitation into a closer fellowship,  closer  walk with joy, true  happiness.  Work would not be the same, it  may not  even  seem like work, instead of looking  at it as drudgery the servant would likely go away singing something  like "whistle  while  you work".
 
 
I recently read a devotional  by J.L. Williams, he writes, "happiness is a choice. It is a choice to serve God by serving others. Happiness is a by-product. Serving is the root; happiness is the fruit. We only find happiness when we quit looking for it. When we seek God and His glory through serving others and meeting needs, happiness abounds in our lives!.....I have sought to live my life by that very simple, but profound Christian philosophy. And I certainly have not done it perfectly or consistently. But whenever I have done so, serving others has made me one of the happiest people on earth! Truly, I am a happy man! Life doesn't get any better than that!"
 
He lived his life that way and I'm sure that  the Lord said to him as well, "well  done  good and faithful servant".  May that  be our goal in life as well with a similar result.  May we have that kind of happiness with a joy that "never shall depart".
 
There is joy in serving Jesus
As I journey on my way
Joy that fills my heart with praises
Every hour and every day

There is joy, joy
Joy in serving Jesus 
Joy that throbs within my heart
Every moment, every hour
As I draw upon His power
There is joy, joy
Joy that never shall depart
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Matthew 25:19-23The Message (MSG)
19-21 "After a long absence, the master of those three servants came back and settled up with them. The one given five thousand dollars showed him how he had doubled his investment. His master commended him: 'Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.'
22-23 "The servant with the two thousand showed how he also had doubled his master's investment. His master commended him: 'Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.'


 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: