Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Verse of the Day 10/10

Verse of the Day 10/10
 
John 14:27  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
The other day I referenced John 14 when I wrote of our son Jeff's hope and his statement that  "hope is my favorite thing to have."  Since those dark days after Jeff's accident today's verse has been an anchor for me.  One of Jeff's friends in his youth group gave Jean and I a card with a personal note and referencing this verse.  Her words and the verse have comforted us from that day and each time I read these verses I'm reminded of it.  Thank you Stephanie.
 
Today, I'd like to focus on one word from Jeff's statement about hope, it is the word have.  It  means to possess and in regards to hope, if we hold onto it we will always have it, it can't be taken from us.  Pastor and author David Jeremiah quoted this verse in his devotional today and he shared some thoughts from Frederick Edward Marsh (1858-1931) who was"a Bible teacher and prolific author who devoted his life to the Word. He listed some of God's blessings for his children, saying we "have":
 
An acceptance that can never be questioned (Ephesians 1:6).
An inheritance that can never be lost (1 Peter 1:3-5).
A deliverance that can never be excelled (2 Corinthians l:10).
A grace that can never be limited (2 Corinthians 12:9).
A hope that can never be disappointed (Hebrews 6:18, 19).
A bounty that can never be withdrawn (1 Corinthians 3:21-23).
A joy that can never be diminished (John 15:11).
A nearness to God that can never be reversed (Ephesians 2:13).
A righteousness that can never be tarnished (2 Corinthians 5:21).
A salvation that can never be canceled (Hebrews 5:9).
A peace that can never be disturbed (John 14:27).
 
I know that Jeff has these things, I need to hold onto these things.  We need to strive to hold onto these things, they can't be taken from us.  May we never let them go.
 
Blessings,
Mike
 

John 14:27The Message (MSG)

25-27 "I'm telling you these things while I'm still living with you. The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you. I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught.
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: