Thursday, October 5, 2017

Verse of the Day 10/5

 
Verse of the Day 10/5
 

Matthew 16:18  And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock[a] I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.  English Standard Version (ESV)

 
Rock and roll artist Tom Petty passed away the other day.  He will long be remembered for many of his hit songs, one that stands out to me is about taking a stand "Won't Back Down".  Read some of the words below.  I could picture Peter singing these words after this discourse with Jesus.
 
Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down
 
No, I'll stand my ground
Won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground
 
And I won't back down    (Tom Petty)
 
When asked by Jesus "who do you say I am?", Peter responded with "You are the Christ, the Son of  the Living God".  That statement, not Peter himself is what would be the foundation of the Christian church through the ages.  There can be no compromise.  There is no indication that Petty was a Christian, but we can apply the words to the song of standing our ground, not backing down, for the sake of the Gospel of Christ, that He is the Son of  the  living God without question, without hesitation, without compromise.
 
I read an article by David Mathis in which he spoke of the impact of the words of the song.  "Of all people, biblically faithful Christians have something to stand for. We have a real reason to not back down. We have an indomitable, risen Jesus who promises to build his church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it (Matthew 16:18) — that's why we can stand against those gates and not back down. This is no mere stubbornness or determination of will. We have what Petty didn't — infinite power at work in us to will and to work for God's good pleasure (Philippians 2:13). "
 
If someone were to ask you "who do you say Jesus is?", would you be willing  to stand your ground and say, "He is the Christ the Son of  the living God"?
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Matthew 16:13-19 New Living Translation (NLT)

Peter's Declaration about Jesus

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?"[a]
14 "Well," they replied, "some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say Jeremiah or one of the other prophets."
15 Then he asked them, "But who do you say I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah,[b] the Son of the living God."
17 Jesus replied, "You are blessed, Simon son of John,[c] because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. 18 Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means 'rock'),[d] and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell[e] will not conquer it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you forbid[f] on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit[g] on earth will be permitted in heaven."
 
 
 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: