Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Verse of the Day 4/11

Verse of the Day 4/11

Proverbs 7:2-3  keep my commandments and live;

    keep my teaching as the apple of your eye;
bind them on your fingers;
    write them on the tablet of your heart.    English Standard Version (ESV)

When Solomon penned these words he probably wrote them on a tablet, perhaps a scroll, but it would have been with the writing utensils of the day, but they were written to be kept, to be remembered and to be passed along and passed down from generation to generation.  Over the past couple of days we've considered the importance of "thinking" of good things, things in God's Word and meditating on those things written for our good that have been passed down to us from God, not just for a generation or two but for thousands of years.

Some years ago I got my first ipad, my first "tablet" if you will, from work.  I really didn't think that I needed it.  I had my laptop and I thought that it was sufficient.  But as I came to use the ipad I added many apps to it.  I added books including my eBible which I use every day.  I keep all kinds of information on it, calendars, notes and passwords.  I put things on there that I want quick access to and that I don't want to forget.  If my memory does fail, I know where to go to find the correct information, (those variations of passwords needed to access accounts and apps).

Today's verses are a reminder that we are to "bind" God's word to our fingers.  We wear rings on our fingers not only as symbols but reminders of "whose" we are.   People used to tie strings to their fingers to remind them of tasks that needed to be done.   But what really caught me eye this morning in reading these verses was the "tablet of your heart".   We are to read, think on, meditate on God's word and store it in the center of our being, our minds, our spiritual hearts, for quick access and as reminders that can be pulled up, remembered and put into action throughout the daily course of our lives.

I'd encourage you to put an eBible or at least a Bible app on your tablet or iPhone.  Pull up, think on, meditate on and keep notes on your thoughts right there on your device.  More importantly store the important things in your memory and in your "heart" where they can't be erased or lost.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Proverbs 7:1-5 The Message (MSG)

1-5 Dear friend, do what I tell you;
    treasure my careful instructions.
Do what I say and you'll live well.
    My teaching is as precious as your eyesight—guard it!
Write it out on the back of your hands;
    etch it on the chambers of your heart.
Talk to Wisdom as to a sister.
    Treat Insight as your companion.

      

No comments: