Sunday, April 29, 2018

Verse of the Day 4/29

Verse of the Day 4/29

Psalm 31:14-15  But I trust in you, O Lord;

    I say, "You are my God."
15 My times are in your hand;
    rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors!     English Standard Version (ESV)

Our Pastor Bob's message this morning dealt with the times , both (chronos) chronologically as in the seasons or calendar and (kairos) which applies to specific events in our lives, referencing Acts 1:7.

Acts 1:7  Jesus said to them, "The Father is the only One who has the authority to decide dates and times. These things are not for you to know.   New Century Version (NCV)

I had read today's verses and thought about using them for the Verse of the Day, Bob's message sealed it.  When David wrote "my times are in your hand" he acknowledged that his God was in control of both "times" the seasons and individual events in our lives, and no matter what, he was willing to put his trust in Him.  It is a reminder once again, as we considered this week, He knows the very number (and colors) of the hairs on our heads and He cares about us to the last detail.

John Newton who wrote Amazing Grace had some thoughts about the subject as well when He wrote, "What a mercy it is that all our concerns are in sure hands! Not a hair of our heads can fall to the ground, but by the appointment of Him who orders and marshals the stars and calls them all by their names!....The Lord has promised to direct, moderate, sanctify, and relieve every trial of every kind. I long to have a more entire submission to His will, and a more steadfast confidence in His Word--to trust Him and wait on Him--to see His hand, and praise His name, in every circumstance of life, great and small.....Our comforts are never safer than when we can fully trust the Lord to do with them, and with us--as He sees fit. He will not willingly or unnecessarily grieve His redeemed children. When His arm seems lifted up to strike them--how often does He put it into their hearts to run toward Him and humble themselves before Him, and thus prevent the blow!"    As we face challenges and trials may we trust and realize that even these times, the upcoming events are in His hands.  May we like David, put our faith and trust in Him in the "chronos", the seasons and in the individual appointments.    John Piper writes, "God will help you.  He gives strength and He gives rest.  He gives passion and He gives quietness of soul."    

Psalm 37:5  Commit your way to the Lord;  trust in him, and he will act.    English Standard Version (ESV)


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 31:15-18 The Message (MSG)

15-18
Hour by hour I place my days in your hand,
    safe from the hands out to get me.
Warm me, your servant, with a smile;
    save me because you love me.
Don't embarrass me by not showing up;
    I've given you plenty of notice.
Embarrass the wicked, stand them up,
    leave them stupidly shaking their heads
    as they drift down to hell.
Gag those loudmouthed liars
    who heckle me, your follower,
    with jeers and catcalls.

No comments: