Friday, May 11, 2018

Verse of the Day 5/11

Verse of the Day 5/11
 
Mark 8:29-30   And he asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Christ." 30 And he strictly charged them to tell no one about him.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Yesterday evening I had the chance to play some golf at a small country course.  As is often the case the plaques on each of the holes had some sponsor.  As I came to one of the last holes the plaque simply asked "who is Jesus"?  I stopped, surprised by the plaque, but immediately answered in my mind "my Savior".
It was a warm evening, but as I continued on I had "goose bumps" or as some in North Carolina would say, "chill bumps".
 
Immediately after that, the song "Our Master" by Matthew Ward came to mind.  My daughter Laurie and I had sung that song together in church many years ago, the song, the lyrics and the memories are precious to me. 
 
Our Master
Our Savior
You are Lord our King
Our Master
Our Savior
We give our praise to our King
To our King

You're the Everlasting Father
The Beginning and the End
There is no one that can take your place
There is no other Name   (Our Master – Matthew Ward)
 
As I mentioned yesterday, the read through the New Testament plan is in John 1, there in verse 29 John the Baptist said "look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world".  In verse 34 he says "this is God's Chosen One".   Later in verse 41 Andrew tells Simon his brother "we have found the Messiah"; in verse 41 Philip tells Nathanael "we have found the one Moses wrote about in the law"; and then Nathanael tells Jesus "you are the king of Israel".
 
They believed and professed their belief.  A.W. Tozer writes, "believing then, is directing the heart's attention to Jesus.  It is lifting the mind to "Look, the Lamb of God" (John 1:29), and never ceasing that beholding the rest of our lives."
 
So, if asked that question, "who is Jesus"?, how would you respond?   The answer to that question will determine your destiny. 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Mark 8:27-32 The Message (MSG)

The Messiah

27 Jesus and his disciples headed out for the villages around Caesarea Philippi. As they walked, he asked, "Who do the people say I am?"
28 "Some say 'John the Baptizer,'" they said. "Others say 'Elijah.' Still others say 'one of the prophets.'"
29 He then asked, "And you—what are you saying about me? Who am I?"
Peter gave the answer: "You are the Christ, the Messiah."
30-32 Jesus warned them to keep it quiet, not to breathe a word of it to anyone. He then began explaining things to them: "It is necessary that the Son of Man proceed to an ordeal of suffering, be tried and found guilty by the elders, high priests, and religion scholars, be killed, and after three days rise up alive." He said this simply and clearly so they couldn't miss it.
 
 


 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: