Thursday, May 24, 2018

Verse of the Day 5/24

Verse of the Day 5/24

Psalm 119:97-98  Oh how I love your law!

    It is my meditation all the day.
98 Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,
    for it is ever with me.    English Standard Version (ESV)

Sometimes we hear so many versions of a "story" an event viewed by several witnesses that we may say to ourselves or even out loud that "we don't know who or what to believe".  As Christians we should never feel that way about God's Word.  We know Who to believe and Who to follow.  Whether it is reading through the psalms or reading the teachings of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7 and the rest of the Gospels we have plenty to learn, memorize and put into practice and know that "we can believe."

Charles Spurgeon, the "prince of preachers" obviously spent a lot of time in God's Word, praying over it and meditating on it.  There are volumes of his sermons available along with commentaries on many books of the Bible.  I've especially enjoyed his commentary on the book of Psalm.  It also becomes obvious that someone who spent so much time in God's Word, studying it, expounding on it and praying over it would say that they "love" His Word.  The meditation spoken of was probably time set aside to do so, but as David writes in verse 98 "it is always with me", the memorized Word would come to him at various times and guide his thoughts and actions through the day, so it should be with us.

Spurgeon writes:

"Next to praying there is nothing so important in practical religion as Bible reading. By reading that Book we may learn . . .
  what to believe,
  what to be, 
  what to do,
  how to live with comfort,
  and how to die in peace.

Happy is that man who possesses a Bible!

Happier still is he who reads it!

Happiest of all is he who not only reads it, but obeys it, and makes it the rule of his faith and practice!"

Spend some time today, each day in prayer and in God's Word.  Know "what to believe, what to be, and what to do," and do it.  You'll be happier and wiser for it.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 119:97-104 New Living Translation (NLT)

Mem

97 Oh, how I love your instructions!
    I think about them all day long.
98 Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
    for they are my constant guide.
99 Yes, I have more insight than my teachers,
    for I am always thinking of your laws.
100 I am even wiser than my elders,
    for I have kept your commandments.
101 I have refused to walk on any evil path,
    so that I may remain obedient to your word.
102 I haven't turned away from your regulations,
    for you have taught me well.
103 How sweet your words taste to me;
    they are sweeter than honey.
104 Your commandments give me understanding;
    no wonder I hate every false way of life.

No comments: