Sunday, May 20, 2018

Verse of the Day 5/20

Verse of the Day 5/20

Psalm 94:18-19  When I thought, "My foot slips,"

    your steadfast love, O Lord, held me up.
19 When the cares of my heart are many,
    your consolations cheer my soul.   English Standard Version (ESV)

I read today's verses the other daily in my daily reading in the Psalms.  I kept going back to them and thinking about "when the cares of my heart are heavy, your consolations cheer my soul."  There are many things that we experience in life that make our hearts heavy, the loss of a loved one, a strained relationship, illness within the family or ones close to you and any number of other things.   The word that caught my attention as I read  and re-read the verses was "consolations".  A way to think of those "consolations" is to count your blessings and as the old hymn goes "see what God has done."  But the other part of "consolations" has to do with a look ahead, a look ahead in hope.

This morning I read the following quote in "Grace Gems" in relation to another verse.  But these thoughts of "consolations" reverberated in the quote.

We must desire to live out in the life, those things that definitely mark one as having his hopes set on something higher, his aspirations set on something nobler, and his interests aimed at something greater and more lasting than . . .    the perishable things of the world,     the popular opinions of the world,     the sinful customs of the world,    the fashions and frivolities of the world, and    the pleasures and amusements of the world.    Charles Naylor    If have lost your footing recently, if your foot has slipped and you realize it, turn back to Jesus.  Be a "see through-er and not a look-at-er", and reflect on the wonderful grace of Jesus that reached you and continues to give you liberty, freedom, knowing that we are "saved to the uttermost".    Wonderful grace of Jesus,  Greater than all my sin;  How shall my tongue describe it,  Where shall its praise begin?  Taking away my burden,  Setting my spirit free;  For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.    Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus,  Deeper than the mighty rolling sea;  Higher than the mountain, sparkling like a fountain,  All sufficient grace for even me,  Broader than the scope of my transgressions,  Greater far than all my sin and shame,  O magnify the precious name of Jesus,  Praise his name!    Wonderful grace of Jesus,  Reaching a mighty host,  By it I have been pardoned,  Saved to the uttermost,  Chains have been torn asunder,  Giving me liberty;  For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.    When I was upset and beside myself,      you calmed me down and cheered me up.  Psalm 94:19 The Message   
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 94:16-19 The Message (MSG)

16-19 Who stood up for me against the wicked?
    Who took my side against evil workers?
If God hadn't been there for me,
    I never would have made it.
The minute I said, "I'm slipping, I'm falling,"
    your love, God, took hold and held me fast.
When I was upset and beside myself,
    you calmed me down and cheered me up.

No comments: