Thursday, September 5, 2019

Verse of the Day 9/5

Verse of the Day 9/5

Isaiah 64:4 For since the world began,
no ear has heard
and no eye has seen a God like you,
who works for those who wait for him! New Living Translation (NLT)

Have you ever heard someone say "this just isn't working out for me"? It may be the path that they had chosen in life; it may be a career path; a diet; or even a relationship. They are ready to give up and throw in the towel. If they do so, and God is not in it; they may find themselves in a worse situation than they just left. It is possible, even probable that they had not sought out; waited on God before heading down their current path.

A key statement in this verse in the New Living Translation is that God "works" for those who wait on Him.

As I was driving down the road to our plant in Anderson SC yesterday I listened to a sermon by John Piper that covered this passage. Here are some things that he had to say on the subject:

"Only a few things have gripped me with greater joy than the truth that God loves to show his God-ness by working for me, and that his working for me is always before and under and in any working I do for him.

At first it may sound arrogant of us, and belittling to God, to say that he works for us. But that's only because of the connotation that I am an employer and God needs a job. That's not the connotation when the Bible talks about God's working for us. As in: "God works for those who wait for him" (Isaiah 64:4).

The proper connotation of saying God works for me is that I am bankrupt and need a bailout. I am weak and need someone strong. I am endangered and need a protector. I am foolish and need someone wise. I am lost and need a Rescuer.

"God works for me" means I can't do the work"

Before throwing in the towel and giving up on something. Wait on the Lord. It is not sitting back and waiting, it is seeking Him and acting in faith while you wait for Him to do the work and bring about a change. Perhaps a change in you.

Psalm 20:7-8 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses;
But we will remember the name of the Lord our God.
8 They have bowed down and fallen;
But we have risen and stand upright. New King James Version (NKJV)

Blessings,

Mike

Isaiah 64:1-4 New King James Version (NKJV)

A Prayer for Help
64 Oh, that You would [a]rend the heavens!
That You would come down!
That the mountains might shake at Your presence—
2 As fire burns brushwood,
As fire causes water to boil—
To make Your name known to Your adversaries,
That the nations may tremble at Your presence!
3 When You did awesome things for which we did not look,
You came down,
The mountains shook at Your presence.
4 For since the beginning of the world
Men have not heard nor perceived by the ear,
Nor has the eye seen any God besides You,
Who acts for the one who waits for Him.



 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: