Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Verse of the Day 8/18

Verse of the Day 8/18

Ephesians 2:10 God planned for us to do good things and to live as he has always wanted us to live. That's why he sent Christ to make us what we are.    Contemporary English Version (CEV)

I read today's verse in my devotions the other day in the Contemporary English Version (above) and appreciated how it says that "God planned for us to do good things".  Stop and think about that for a minute (or longer); God has a plan for us and it is to do good things. Everything that we do should be held up against that statement.  You've heard people say that we are to do good or "do no harm".  Are we doing things that are harmful?  If so, they are contrary to what God has planned for us.  These thoughts bring me back to Romans 8:28 where we read that "all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

I would encourage and challenge you to read through the rest of the passage below.  It is probably more well known for verses 8 & 9 which tell us that it is "by grace that we have been saved through faith, and it is not of our own doing" but God's work in us, often through His Word abiding and working in us.  But remember, this is not something that comes naturally for us nor is it something that we can do in our own power.  Verse1 starts out by saying that we "were dead" our sin and then in verse 4 we have one of the most important little words in our lives "but"; but God, rich in mercy, made us alive together with Christ.  Let that sink in, realize it, experience it, and apply it in your life.

Spend some time in this passage, let it speak to you and take a  look at what God has done for you through Jesus Christ.

I have fallen short of glory
I can't make it on my own
If You kept record of my past
I'd be sinking like a stone
But God, rich in mercy
You came to save me
Now I'm alive
But God, strong and mighty
You reached down for me
So I could rise
Now I'm breathing in, I'm breathing out
I was in the grave, but God You called me out
I'm breathing in, I'm breathing out
I was in the grave, but God You called me out   (Alive - Big Daddy Weave)

Breathe in and breathe out and be thankful that you are alive in Christ and He has planned good things for you.


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Ephesians 2:1-10 English Standard Version (ESV)

By Grace Through Faith

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body[a] and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.[b] But[c] God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

No comments: