Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Verse of the Day 8/26

Verse of the Day 8/26

2 Timothy 3:16-17   All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for [a]instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.    New King James Version (NKJV)

I have to admit that I enjoy watching the reality TV series "Alone" where individuals are dropped off in remote areas of the wilderness such as Vancouver Island in Canada or Patagonia in South America.  They can only choose 10 items to bring with them and the goal is to be the last one who remains without "tapping out".  How they choose to be equipped and how they protect their equipment can make all the difference in whether they will have success or not.  Individuals had to tap out because the lost their fire stick or gill net, thus not being able to start a fire or obtains sufficient food.

As I read today's verses in my devotions this morning, what caught my attention in the New King James Version was "thoroughly equipped".  God has given us everything that we need to survive day by day in the spiritual wilderness that we may face any day.  As we draw upon His power we know that we have what we need.  I don't know how I would survive in the wilderness of Vancouver Island, Patagonia or Mongolia but I do know that wherever I am and wherever I'll go, I will carry God's word with me.  It is probably my most important survival tool.

How are you equipped today to go out into the world, into the "wilderness".  Be sure to have God's Word with you, at your fingertips and in your heart.  We don't have to barely get by, we can thrive as we draw upon His power with joy, deep in our hearts.

There is joy in serving Jesus
As I journey on my way
Joy that fills my heart with praises
Every hour and every day

There is joy, joy
Joy in serving Jesus
Joy that throbs within my heart
Every moment, every hour
As I draw upon His power
There is joy, joy
Joy that never shall depart

There is joy in serving Jesus
Joy; that triumphs over pain
Fills my heart with heaven's music
Till I join the glad refrain


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

2 Timothy 3:10-17 New Living Translation (NLT)

Paul's Charge to Timothy

10 But you, Timothy, certainly know what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is. You know my faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance. 11 You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra—but the Lord rescued me from all of it. 12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil people and impostors will flourish. They will deceive others and will themselves be deceived.

14 But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. 15 You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

No comments: