Friday, August 28, 2020

Verse of the Day 8/28

Verse of the Day 8/28

Ezekiel 11:19-20 And I will give them singleness of heart and put a new spirit within them. I will take away their stony, stubborn heart and give them a tender, responsive heart, 20??so they will obey my decrees and regulations. Then they will truly be my people, and I will be their God.?????? New Living Translation (NLT)

My daily reading in the Old Testament is currently in the book of Ezekiel.?? The prophets Jeremiah and Ezekiel wrote during a time of turmoil and exile in the Old Testament.?? The people of the nation of Israel were prone to stray and to go after false gods.?? But God never left them, He was always at work and spoke through the prophets to "draw them back".?? In today's verse the prophet speaks of "singleness of heart" or as the English Standard Version below states, an "undivided" heart.?? It speaks of unity with the people, the nation having a common focus.

When you think about it, most divisions, whether it be in the family, the workplace or in politics come from moving away from sense of the common purpose and what is best for all to what is perceived to be what is "best for me" in this time or place.?? That what is best for me is often with selfish, self gratifying motives that aren't truly in the best interests of the person or their respective family, work, church or national interests.

The verses give us the answer as to how we are to have and maintain this singleness, this undivided heart.?? It is by God's Spirit softening our stubborn heats, making them tender and responsive to His Word and His promptings.?? We long for unity in our families, churches and our nation and the best way to bring it about is to seek singleness of heart by praying and following God's leading, following His Word.

Savior, like a shepherd lead us
Much we need Thy tender care
In Thy pleasant pastures feed us
For our use Thy folds prepare
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus
Thou hast bought us, Thine we are
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus
Thou hast bought us, Thine we are


We are Thine, who Thou befriend us
Be the guardian of our way
Keep Thy flock from sin defend us
Seek us when we go astray
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus
Hear Thy children when we pray
Blessed Jesus, oh blessed Jesus
Hear Thy children when we pray

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Ezekiel 11:17-21??English Standard Version (ESV)

17??Therefore say, ???Thus says the Lord??God:??I will gather you from the peoples and assemble you out of the countries where you have been scattered,??and I will give you the land of Israel.?????18??And when they come there,??they will remove from it all its??detestable things and all its abominations.??19??And I will give them one heart, and??a new spirit I will put within them.??I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh??and give them a heart of flesh,??20??that they may walk in my statutes and keep my rules and obey them.??And they shall be my people, and I will be their God.??21??But as for those whose heart goes after their detestable things and their abominations,??I will[a]??bring their deeds upon their own heads, declares the Lord??God.???

No comments: