Thursday, November 26, 2020

Verse of the Day 11/26

Verse of the Day 11/26/20

 

Psalm 69:30    I will praise the name of God with a song;
    I will magnify him with thanksgiving.  English Standard Version (ESV)

 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. 

Many of you may have read a devotional this morning that included 1 Thessalonians 5:18 "in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."  New King James Version (NKJV).  It may not seem like it is very easy this year to be thankful "in everything".  Many are facing challenges, this year most will be impacted in some way or another by COVID.  Some may have the illness itself; be suffering from lingering effects; have loved ones suffering from it; cannot see family members because of the travel and gathering restrictions; while others are still suffering loss of income or other things, and we're just talking about COVID.  We may feel like we're "up to our necks" with things and may think "how can I be thankful?"

 

Paul knew what it was like to give thanks in all situations, many of his works were written while in prison.  But this thinking of giving thanks in everything is not new.  David and other Old Testament kings and prophets faced all kinds of challenges yet gave thanks,.  This Psalm begins with the following:

 

Psalm 69:1-3 New King James Version (NKJV)

Save me, O God!
For the waters have come up to my [b]neck.

I sink in deep mire,
Where there is no standing;
I have come into deep waters,
Where the floods overflow me.
I am weary with my crying;
My throat is dry;
My eyes fail while I wait for my God.

 

Still, David did not give up "under" the circumstances.  He knew from past experiences that he would be lifted up and praised God for it in the here and now and gave thanks with a vision towards the future and for God's blessing in the past.  He couldn't turn back because he was focused on something greater, brighter days ahead.

 

Hebrews 11:16 But they couldn't turn back for their hearts were fixed on what was far greater, that is, the heavenly realm!

So because of this God is not ashamed in any way to be called their God, for he has prepared a heavenly city for them. The Passion Translation (TPT)

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

 

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us"

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

 

Psalm 69:29-36 New King James Version (NKJV)

29 But I am poor and sorrowful;
Let Your salvation, O God, set me up on high.
30 I will praise the name of God with a song,
And will magnify Him with thanksgiving.
31 This also shall please the Lord better than an ox or bull,
Which has horns and hooves.
32 The humble shall see this and be glad;
And you who seek God, your hearts shall live.
33 For the Lord hears the poor,
And does not despise His prisoners.

34 Let heaven and earth praise Him,
The seas and everything that moves in them.
35 For God will save Zion
And build the cities of Judah,
That they may dwell there and possess it.
36 Also, the [a]descendants of His servants shall inherit it,
And those who love His name shall dwell in it.

 

  

No comments: