Sunday, November 8, 2020

Verse of the Day 11/8

Verse of the Day 11/8/20

 

John 17:8   And the very words you gave to me to speak
    I have passed on to them.
    They have received your words
    and carry them in their hearts.
    They are convinced that I have come from your presence,
    and they have fully believed that you sent me to represent you.  The Passion Translation (TPT)

 

Today's verse comes from Jesus "High Priestly Prayer" in John 17.  It is a prayer to the Father offered on behalf of Jesus' followers through the ages.  As I read the verse, it reminded me how important God's Word is to me and to all of us.  These words that were written are the very words of God passed on to us.

 

I was reminded of how I learned many of the verses that I carry in my heart and mind as I went to AWANA Clubs.  I learned them as a "clubber" and then they were reinforced and more deeply imbedded as a became a leader in AWANA and heard kids recite them to me week after week for several years as I served in high school and into college.  I never tired of hearing those words and am so thankful that they indelibly etched in my heart and mind and they come to mind time and time again.

 

The verse should bring up some thoughts in our minds.  Have we received them?  Do we carry them in our hearts?  Are we convinced that they came from God the Father?  Do we believe that they are the Words of God and that Jesus is the One given to us to represent the Father then and now?  What are these words to me?  These thoughts led me to the old hymn, "Wonderful Words of Life".  I pray that they are this for you today.

 

Sing them over again to me
Wonderful words of life
Let me more of their beauty see
Wonderful words of life


Words of life and beauty teach me faith and duty

Beautiful words, wonderful words
Wonderful words of life
Beautiful words, wonderful words
Wonderful words of life

 

Christ the blessed One, gives to all wonderful words of life
Sinner, list to the loving call
Wonderful words of life
Oh, so freely given, wooing us to heaven

 

Sweetly echo the Gospel call
Wonderful words of life
Offer pardon and peace to all
Wonderful words of life
Jesus, only Saviour, sanctifying forever


John 17:17-19 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.   New King James Version (NKJV)

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 17:1-9 English Standard Version (ESV)

The High Priestly Prayer

17 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

"I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

 

  

No comments: