Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Verse of the Day 1/26

Verse of the Day 1/26

Acts 8:34-35  The official said to Philip, "Tell me, was the prophet talking about himself or about someone else?" 35 So Philip began at this place in the Scriptures and explained the good news about Jesus.

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

You have probably heard of "seekers" in Christian circles and there are churches that focus their message to "draw" some of them into their churches.  In Acts chapter 8 we have an example of a "seeker".  He was an official, a "VIP" in charge of the treasury of Ethiopia who came to Jerusalem to worship, not sure knowing what that even meant or where to find it.

What we have here is another one of those "divine appointments".  God brought Philip and this ruler together and Philip told him about  Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him and he began to tell him about Jesus right from that point in the scriptures.

Like this man, many today don't know how they should react to the Bible or those who profess to be Christians.  But our call, given the opportunity, is to be able to do the same thing, start with where they are and point to Jesus in His Word and in our lives that tell the story.  What it takes is a willing and open heart on both sides.

Thinking about this brought my mind to the U2 song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".

I believe in the kingdom come
Then all the colors will bleed into one
Bleed into one
But yes I'm still running
You broke the bonds
And you loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Oh my shame
You know I believe it
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for
We may come across people that believe in a "god" who can bring them what they need and are in search of a savior.  May we be ready, willing and able to share with them, tell them the story of Jesus, we may be involved in a divine appointment without knowing it.  

Tell me the story of Jesus,
Write on my heart every word;
Tell me the story most precious,
Sweetest that ever was heard.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Acts 8:32-40 English Standard Version (ESV)

32 Now the passage of the Scripture that he was reading was this:

"Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter
    and like a lamb before its shearer is silent,
    so he opens not his mouth.
33 In his humiliation justice was denied him.
    Who can describe his generation?
For his life is taken away from the earth."

34 And the eunuch said to Philip, "About whom, I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?" 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the good news about Jesus. 36 And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, "See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?"[a] 38 And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. 39 And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip found himself at Azotus, and as he passed through he preached the gospel to all the towns until he came to Caesarea.

No comments: