Sunday, January 3, 2021

Verse of the Day 1/3

Verse of the Day 1/3

 

Psalm 108:1-2  My heart, O God, is quiet and confident, all because of you.
Now I can sing my song with passionate praises!
Awake, O my soul, with the music of his splendor.
Arise, my soul, and sing his praises!
I will awaken the dawn with my worship,
greeting the daybreak with my songs of light. 
The Passion Translation (TPT)

 

For many of us, we've just come through one of the most trying year in our lives and we are happy to put it behind us.  Looking forward, we realize that we can't make it on our own and if we are to survive another year anywhere close to what 2020 was, we will need God's help, His love, His mercy to make it through.

 

Today's Psalm came up in my daily reading in the Psalms.  It is attributed to King David, a man after God's own heart, and the heading for it in The Passion Translation is "A Prayer for God's Help".  David knew all about the ups and downs and the trials and battles of life.  Notice how he begins this prayer, he admits to God that his heart is quiet, it is at peace and he is confident, not in himself but in the Lord.  Other translations say that "my heart is steadfast".  His faith in God is rock solid.  Oh that this could be said of us coming out of 2020.

 

Most mornings, I am up before the dawn and that is when I have my quiet times in His Word and in prayer.  While I don't play the flute, or any other instrument for that matter, I can sing in my heart and quite often a hymn will come to mind as I read and pray.  Heading into 2021 may prayer for you that you will set time aside for the Lord "before dawn" or at any designated part of the day, to praise, seek and worship Him, and pray for His help for the day, week, month and year.

 

The hymn that came to my mind this morning was "O God Our Help in Ages Past".  Read it, sing it aloud or in your heart if you know it as a prayer for God's help today.

 

O God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Our shelter from the stormy blast,
And our eternal home:

 

Benearth the shadow of thy throne,
Thy saints have dwelt secure;
Sufficient is thine arm alone,
And our defense is sure.

 

Before the hills in order stood,
Or earth received her frame,
From everlasting thou art God,
To endless years the same.

 

A thousand ages in thy sight
Are like an evening gone;
Short as the watch that ends the night
Before the rising sun.

 Read the passage below, may we be confident that "with God we shall do valiantly" this year.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

 

Psalm 108 English Standard Version (ESV)

With God We Shall Do Valiantly

A Song. A Psalm of David.

108 My heart is steadfast, O God!
    I will sing and make melody with all my being![a]
Awake, O harp and lyre!
    I will awake the dawn!
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
    I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your steadfast love is great above the heavens;
    your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens!
    Let your glory be over all the earth!
That your beloved ones may be delivered,
    give salvation by your right hand and answer me!

 

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

No comments: