Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Verse of the Day 1/27

Verse of the Day 1/27

Proverbs 8:33-34 Listen to my instruction and be wise.

    Don't ignore it.
34 Joyful are those who listen to me,
    watching for me daily at my gates,
    waiting for me outside my home!   New Living Translation (NLT)

Where do people go when looking for wisdom these days?  Many go to school and college to gain wisdom; we go to technical school for wisdom in the trades; we turn to self help books to improve "ourselves" and we may go to parents or grandparents as well as a number of other sources.  But today's verses come from King Solomon whom many consider to be one of the wisest people in history and he points to a wisdom that comes from beyond ourselves.

The picture is of the kings people waiting daily outside the gates of the palace for a good word from the king. It doesn't go into specifics but we can imagine some of the things that they may have hoped for, perhaps even an invitation from the king to come through the gates and into his courts.  We have Jesus as the King of our hearts and the way that we watch and wait for Him is to seek Him in His Word and in prayer - daily.

Sinclair Ferguson writes, "When we read  it, study it and seek to obey it, we hear His voice and recognize His authority. (John 10:3-5)  That is why one mark of the Christian will be loving study of the Scripture and a growing obedience to everything Christ teaches us through Scripture."

Whether it be through our own reading and studying or sitting under the biblical teaching of someone else, we will be wise to hear it and not ignore it on a daily basis.  I'm reminded of the hymn "Take Time to be Holy".  To be holy is to be set apart for God, part of which is setting apart the time to spend with Him, waiting outside His gates for a good word and an invitation to follow Him.

Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.
Make friends of God's children, help those who are weak,
Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.
Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
Spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Proverbs 8:32-36 English Standard Version (ESV)

32 "And now, O sons, listen to me:
    blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Hear instruction and be wise,
    and do not neglect it.
34 Blessed is the one who listens to me,
    watching daily at my gates,
    waiting beside my doors.
35 For whoever finds me finds life
    and obtains favor from the Lord,
36 but he who fails to find me injures himself;
    all who hate me love death."

No comments: