Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Verse of the Day 5/18

Verse of the Day 5/18

John 5:39-40   "You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! 40 Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life.  New Living Translation.  

The scribes and pharisees boasted of "knowing the scriptures", but there's was a head knowledge and when the Living Word in the form of Jesus was right in front of them they could not see Him for who He was even though He was spoken of and pointed to from the very scriptures that they were supposedly trying to defend.  Before we are too quick to point fingers at the Pharisees, we need to take a look at ourselves.  How much time do we spend in the scriptures in personal devotions, Bible studies and listening to sermons about the Word but do very little about following, taking it to heart and acting upon it through the work of Jesus and the Holy Spirit in our lives.

As we read, study, and hear from God's Word we should be in prayer and seeking the Holy Spirit's guidance to apply it in our lives.  When we do, we will not be like the scribes and pharisees of Jesus' day.

As we prepare to spend time in God's Word, a simple prayer as expressed in this familiar chorus may help us to take the words of life and put them to use in our lives.

Spirit of the living God,
Fall afresh on me.
Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me.
Spirit of the living God,
Fall afresh on me.


Blessings, 
Mike 

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,
in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV
John 5:31-40

New King James Version

31 "If I bear witness of Myself, My witness is not true. 32 There is another who bears witness of Me, and I know that the witness which He witnesses of Me is true. 33 You have sent to John, and he has borne witness to the truth. 34 Yet I do not receive testimony from man, but I say these things that you may be saved. 35 He was the burning and shining lamp, and you were willing for a time to rejoice in his light. 36 But I have a greater witness than John's; for the works which the Father has given Me to finish—the very works that I do—bear witness of Me, that the Father has sent Me. 37 And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. 38 But you do not have His word abiding in you, because whom He sent, Him you do not believe. 39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.


No comments: