Friday, May 7, 2021

Verse of the Day 5/7

Verse of the Day 5/7


1 Peter 1:24-25. For,

"All people are like grass,
    and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
25     but the word of the Lord endures forever."

And this is the word that was preached to you.  New International Version


You've heard the saying "April showers bring May flowers" and walking around neighborhoods and fields you'll likely see plenty of flowers blooming, trees blossoming and everything looks fresh and new.  But we also know that the heat of August will come along and those same fields can look really dry and ready to go up in flames if someone were to put a match to the dry foliage.

People spend all kinds of money in an attempt to stay "young looking" but cannot put off the inevitable aging process.  Our hair turns gray (or falls out) and our skin shows more wrinkles to the point where it can't be covered up by any amount of makeup.  For us guys, combovers just won't work.

But there is one thing that will endure and that is God's word.  It grows "richer, fuller and deeper" along with the love of God as we get to know Him better through the years in spending time in His Word and applying it's principles to our lives.

We won't last forever but the things that we do for Him, those treasures stored up in heaven will endure.

Yesterday we considered how God is "still listening".  Along with the opportunity to spend time in His Word endures so does the opportunity go go to Him even when our appearance fades.   I'm reminded of the Casting Crowns song, "Who Am I".


Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart
Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean (ocean)
A vapor in the wind
Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am...
I am Yours, I am Yours


Blessings, 
Mike 

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,
in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

1 Peter 1:20-25
New International Version

20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.[a] 23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 24 For,

"All people are like grass,
    and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
25     but the word of the Lord endures forever."

And this is the word that was preached to you.


No comments: