Thursday, June 10, 2021

Verse of the Day 6/10

Verse of the Day 6/10

John 18:38-39



38 Pilate said to him, "What is truth?"

After he had said this, he went back outside to the Jews and told them, "I find no guilt in him. 39 But you have a custom that I should release one man for you at the Passover. So do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?"  English Standard Version

Today's verses came up in the read through the New Testament plan that I am following.  Jesus is being questioned by Pilate during his trial.  Jesus had just testified that He had come to "testify to the truth".  Verse 38 contains Pilate's immediate response.  

A couple of things stood out to me as I read the verses and passage.  First, you get the feeling that Pilate's attitude, or even disdain for "the truth" would fit right in with so many in today's society from politicians; business leaders; church leaders and many others.  But while we are looking at society what about us, what is our opinion of truth?  Truth nowadays is often twisted and contorted for political agendas and corporate policy to the point that it is hard to know when we are being told the truth or something that may be the opposite.

The other thing that stood out was that after Pilate's statement he unknowingly stated a great truth and had it affixed to the cross on which Jesus would be crucified as he referred to Jesus as the king of the Jews.  He came as king of the Jews as referenced at the beginning of Matthew by the Magi (Matt. 2:2).  Near the end of Matthew's gospel the sign is affixed to the cross "This is Jesus, the King of the Jews".  (Matt. 27:37).  In John, Nathanael " Rabbi, you are the Son of God, you are the king of Israel." (John 1:49).

Many have twisted these words and tried to present other positions as to who Jesus was as truth.  We profess that Jesus did come as King and that He came as Savior of the world and that one day, He will return and take His chosen people home to be with Him.  Do you believe this is true?

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 18:33-40
New King James Version
33 Then Pilate entered the Praetorium again, called Jesus, and said to Him, "Are You the King of the Jews?"










34 Jesus answered him, "Are you speaking for yourself about this, or did others tell you this concerning Me?"

35 Pilate answered, "Am I a Jew? Your own nation and the chief priests have delivered You to me. What have You done?"

36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, My servants would fight, so that I should not be delivered to the Jews; but now My kingdom is not from here."

37 Pilate therefore said to Him, "Are You a king then?"

Jesus answered, "You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice."

38 Pilate said to Him, "What is truth?" And when he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, "I find no fault in Him at all.

39 "But you have a custom that I should release someone to you at the Passover. Do you therefore want me to release to you the King of the Jews?"

40 Then they all cried again, saying, "Not this Man, but Barabbas!" Now Barabbas was a robber.


No comments: