Monday, February 7, 2022

Verse of the Day 2/7

Verse of the Day 2/7

Romans 8:1-2
Holman Christian Standard Bible


1Therefore, no condemnation now exists for those in Christ Jesus, because the Spirit's law of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Our Monday Men's Bible study just moved into Romans chapter 8 this morning.  Many Bible commentators believe that Romans is the greatest book of the New Testament and that Romans 8 is the greatest in the Bible.  I must admit that I have probably spent more time studying this chapter than any other in the Bible.  One reason behind that is what we find in the "bookends".  In verse 1 we read that there is no condemnation, but those who are in Christ, who put their faith and trust in Him, receive forgiveness - past, present and future; there is mercy and healing and peace among other things.  The other great bookend at the end of Romans 8, in verse 39 is there is no separation, NOTHING can separate us from the love of Christ.

Now, let's consider another big two letter word in this verse, it is the word "in".  These things are found "in" Christ alone.  We can't, won't find them anywhere else.  Once we have them, once we have been adopted as a child of God Martyn Lloyd Jones writes "if you are in Him, you are in Him for ever, you are in Him for all eternity.  It is God who has put you 'in Him", and no one and nothing can take you out, neither hell, nor Satan, nor any other power.  If you are in, you are in.  It is absolute.  There is no condemnation, there never will be. It is impossible."

Stop and think for a moment what this means for you!  Your sins are blotted out.  They have been cancelled.  They are gone. Don't let Satan bring them up again. Leave them behind. If that is the case for you, perhaps you'll sing out this old familiar (for me at least) 

What a wondrous message in God's Word!
My sins are blotted out, I know!
If I trust in His redeeming blood,
My sins are blotted out, I know!

My sins are blotted out, I know!
My sins are blotted out, I know!
They are buried in the depths of the deepest sea:
My sins are blotted out, I know!

Once my heart was black, but now what joy,
My sins are blotted out, I know!
I have peace that nothing can destroy,
My sins are blotted out, I know!


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Romans 8:1-4
English Standard Version

Life in the Spirit

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.[a] For the law of the Spirit of life has set you[b] free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.


No comments: