Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Verse of the Day 2/9

   Verse of the Day 2/9

Philippians 2:7-8 New International Version



rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature
of a servant, being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
        even death on a cross!

The other day I was talking with a friend and somehow the subject of the old Jackie Gleason show, "The Honeymooners" came up,  Produced in the 50's, reruns are still being shown today.  We both could still remembver scenes from the show.  Today's verses reminded me of one of those.

On the show, Ralph Cramden told his wife Alice "I'm king and you're nothin', to which Alice promptly responded "I guess that makes you the king of nothing".  You might say that Alice brought him down to earth, to reality.  In today's passage Paul reveals to us that Jesus, the King of the Universe emptied Himself, made Himself nothing, coming down to earth in human form to die for us, so that He might be raised from the dead and give us the hope of eternal life.

Some of my favorite times with my grandchildren was when they were toddlers and being able to get down on the floor with them and play. When we do so we are humbling ourselves, bringing ourselves down to their level so that we can relate to one another.

Jesus came down to us, He still does to meet us where we are, the King of the Universe taking the time to communicate with us, listen to us and to intercede for us to God the Father.

I'm reminded of the Andre Crouch song "I Don't Know Why" that I listened to over and over again as a teenager.  It sums up my sentiments, I don't know why He chose to love me, but I'm glad, so glad He did.

I don't know why Jesus loved me
I don't know why He cared
I don't know why He sacrificed His life
Oh, but I'm glad, so glad He did

[Verse:]
He left His mighty throne in glory
To bring to us redemption's story
Then He died but He rose again
Just for you and me
Oh, but I'm glad, so glad He did




Blessings,
Mike

Philippians 2:5-11
New International Version

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature[a] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
        even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.



Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

No comments: