Friday, June 10, 2022

Verse of the Day 6/10

Verse of the Day 6/10

John 17:17-18
English Standard Version



17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world.

The read through the New Testament plan has been in the book of John and recently in John 17 and Jesus' "High Priestly Prayer".  In this prayer Jesus prays for himself in verses 1-5; for the apostles in verses 6-19; and for all New Testament believers including us in verses 20-26.
The sanctification process is something for all Christians.  To be sanctified is to be set apart for His purposes and a key ingredient in that is knowing the truth, God's Word, memorizing, and applying it in our lives.

Jared Waterbury writes, "In the written Word, we have God speaking to us as to His children. Go, then, my friend, and diligently listen to the holy oracles. Search the Scriptures. Peruse them systematically. Make them your daily and nightly companions. And may their celestial influence be so infused into your soul--that you shall progressively lose the image of the earthly, and assume the image of the heavenly inhabitants....Depend upon it, the closer attention you give to the Word--the more precious and interesting will it become, and the more rapidly will you grow in grace and holiness. "

Have you been set apart for God's purpose in our world?  If so, time spent in God's Word and in sharing it with others in our speech and actions should be a key ingredient of that sanctification, that growing process.

2 Peter 3:18
English Standard Version
18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.










Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 17:8-19
English Standard Version

For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.[a] 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them[b] in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself,[c] that they also may be sanctified[d]




 in truth.


No comments: