Thursday, June 2, 2022

Verse of the Day 6/2

Verse of the Day 6/2            

John 10:9-10. New International Version



I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

The read through the New Testament plan that I am following is going through the gospel of John where we find the 7 "I Am" statements of Jesus.  Depending on the translation we read today the Jesus said "I am the gate" or "the door" in other translations.  The meaning is the same and the statement goes hand in hand with another one of those declarations in John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life".  In both statements a very important word is "the"; Jesus did not say I am "a" door or gate, nor did He say that I am "a" way.  It is a definitive declaration "I am the way", "I am the door, as the one and only.

it may not be popular in some circles today, but I doubt that there has been a time when this was not questioned.  It goes all the wake back to Genesis 3 where Satan asked Eve, "did God really say", it is about questioning God's declarations.

Jesus calls His own to come to Him to have life.  Satan's will for us is the opposite, his mission is to steal, kill and destroy.  He offers fleeting pleasures that end up damaging or destroying us; robbing us of joy, hope, peace and the rest of the "fruit of the Spirit" in Galatians 5:22-23.

Satan chases us to destroy us, Jesus pursues us with His love.

Psalm 23:5-6. Holman Christian Standard Bible
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil;my cup overflows. Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord as long as I live.


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 10:7-13
New International Version

Therefore Jesus said again, "Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.They will come in and go out,   find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.


No comments: