Friday, June 24, 2022

Verse of the Day 6/24

Verse of the Day 6/24

Job 19:25-26
New International Version



25 I know that my redeemer lives,
    and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
    yet in my flesh I will see God;

My Old Testament daily reading is in the book of Job.  Today's verses are ones that should cause you to step back and take a pause and consider the circumstances under which they were written.  We all know that at times in our lives we will encounter the "various trials" that James referenced in James 1:2, but it is unlikely that any of us will have encountered the trials that Job did in his life with the loss of loved ones and catastrophies that job did.  But through it all, he maintained his integrity and his faith and looked ahead when he would see God.

In the previous verses (19:23-24) he expresses a desire that his words be recorded, inscribed in a book and engraved in rock forever.  His desires, his prayers were answered and we still have them today.  They are part of God's Word and they will never cease to exist.  Think of that, Job states "I know my Redeemer lives".  Nothing wishy washy, no question of doubt, even in the trial can break his belief, his faith in God.

Charles Spurgeon writes, "To say, "I hope so, I trust so" is comfortable; and there are thousands in the fold of Jesus who hardly ever get much further. But to reach the essence of consolation you must say, "I know." Ifs, buts, and perhapses, are sure murderers of peace and comfort. Doubts are dreary things in times of sorrow. Like wasps they sting the soul! If I have any suspicion that Christ is not mine, then there is vinegar mingled with the gall of death; but if I know that Jesus lives for me, then darkness is not dark: even the night is light about me. "

Steven Curtis Chapman speaks of his Redeemer in the song "My Redeemer is Faithful and True".  They echo the sentiments of Job, David, Paul and so many others in the Bible.  They can ring true for us when we put our faith and trust in Him.

As I look back on this road I've traveled
I see so many times He carried me through
And if there's one thing that I've learned in my life
My Redeemer is faithful and true

My Redeemer is faithful and true
Everything He has said He will do
And every morning His mercies are new
My Redeemer is faithful and true

My heart rejoices when I read the promise
There is a place I am preparing for you
I know someday I'll see my Lord face to face
Cause my Redeemer is faithful and true


Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Job 19:23-27
New International Version



23 "Oh, that my words were recorded,
    that they were written on a scroll,
24 that they were inscribed with an iron tool on[a] lead,
    or engraved in rock forever!
25 I know that my redeemer[b] lives,
    and that in the end he will stand on the earth.[c]
26 And after my skin has been destroyed,
    yet[d] in[e] my flesh I will see God;
27 I myself will see him
    with my own eyes—I, and not another.
    How my heart yearns within me!






No comments: