Monday, October 10, 2022

Verse of the Day 10/10

Verse of the Day 10/10

1 John 5:20-21
English Standard Version



20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

Recent posts have been dealing with the topic of discernment.  It seems that when a certain topic comes up, invariablly, I'll have several verses and passages "pop up" in my daily reading that are related to the matter at hand.  So it is with today's verses.  The Apostle John writes here that "the Son of God has come and given us understanding". Having Biblical understanding on something will give us the correct discernment in how to deal with the issue.

We have God's Word so that we may know Him, that we may continue to grow in Him as we read, study, pray and apply what we've learned through the Spirit's leading.  God' Word will also keep us on the right track and not be turned aside by idols, earthly things that can lead us astray. His Word and guidance are there for us, at our fingertips and in our hearts and minds.

John MacArthur notes, "God never intended for truth to be mysterious or unattainable. His Word is a repository of truth, containing every principle we need for life and thought....
But knowing truth begins with knowing God, who is its author. First John 5:20 says, "We know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding, in order that we might know Him who is true, and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life." 

Read the passage below, may it encourage and enable you to use discernment today.

Open my eyes that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.

[Chorus:]
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready, my God, Thy will to see;
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit Divine!

Open my ears that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.

[Chorus]

Open my mouth and let me bear
Tidings of mercy everywhere;
(alternate: Gladly the warm truth everywhere)
Open my heart and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.

[Chorus]

Open my mind that I may read
More of Thy love in word and deed;
What shall I fear while yet Thou dost lead?
Only for light from Thee I plead.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/christianlyrics/openmyeyesthatimayseelyrics.html


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

1 John 5:13-21
English Standard Version

That You May Know

13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. 14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.

16 If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life—to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death.

18 We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.

19 We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.

20 And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols.


No comments: