Thursday, October 27, 2022

Verse of the Day 10/27

Verse of the Day 10/27


Psalm 5:3
New King James Version



My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord;
In the morning I will direct it to You,
And I will look up.

Your probably heard a response from someone when asking the question "how are things going?", "things are looking up".  It points to a turn around but also indicates their focus, looking forward.  All to often, when we are down we tend to focus on the situation at hand, worse yet we may wallow in it and not seek outside help including the most important source, seeking God.

In the beginning of this pslam, David is crying out to God, while doing so and recording it, he reveals his standard response to such feelings.  Day by day, morning by morning, he seeks the Lord.  As he states in today's verse he "looks up" to God" and away from the circumstances.

Pastor James Smith writes: 

Look up!
This was the Psalmist's determination in the morning, and it should be ours.

Preserved and protected through the night, we should look up with gratitude and praise our God for His goodness.

Aware of our dependence and needs, we should look up and beg mercies of our Almighty God for the new-born day.

Sensible of our foes and dangers, we should look up and pray to be kept, guided, and sanctified by our ever-present God.

If we look within, it will dispirit us;
if we look around, it may distract us;
if we look back, it may awaken fears;
if we look forward, it may arouse foreboding!

But if we look UP to God, it will preserve . . .
the head from swimming,
the heart from sinking,
the feet from slipping, and
the hands from hanging down! 

James Smith's words remind me of the hymn "Great is Thy Faithfulness" which comes from the midpoint of the book of Lamentations, where the writer is doing the same thing, "looking up", and praising God for what He will do based on what He has done in the past.

  1. Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
    There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
    Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
    As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
    • Refrain:
      Great is Thy faithfulness!
      Great is Thy faithfulness!
      Morning by morning new mercies I see:
      All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
      Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
  2. Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
    Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above
    Join with all nature in manifold witness
    To Thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love.
  3. Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
    Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide,
    Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow—
    Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Read the passage below.  Sing the hymn in your mind our out loud, may you "look up", pray to the Lord and praise the Lord.

Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Psalm 5:1-8
New King James Version

A Prayer for Guidance

To the Chief Musician. With [a]flutes. A Psalm of David.

Give ear to my words, O Lord,
Consider my [b]meditation.
Give heed to the voice of my cry,
My King and my God,
For to You I will pray.
My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord;
In the morning I will direct it to You,
And I will look up.

For You are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness,
Nor shall evil [c]dwell with You.
The boastful shall not stand in Your sight;
You hate all workers of iniquity.
You shall destroy those who speak falsehood;
The Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.

But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy;
In fear of You I will worship toward Your holy temple.
Lead me, O Lord, in Your righteousness because of my enemies;
Make Your way straight before my face.


No comments: