Friday, October 7, 2022

Verse of the Day 10/7

Verse of the Day 10/7


Philippians 1:9-10
English Standard Version



And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, 10 so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ,

The read through the New Testament plan that I follow has brought me to the book of Philippians.  In chapter 1 Paul begins with a greeting then offers a prayer for the church which showed his confindence in them; his thankjfulness of them; his desire for their continued growth; and that they would have discernment and that they would produce fruit for the glory of God.  Aren't those the same things that we would want for any fellow believer?  Do we pray for others this way?  Do we let them know about it?

In verse 6 Paul states that God "who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it".  It is God who does the work, who produces the growth.  This growth occurs as we grow in knowledge, as we do and as we apply it we will show discernment in our lives, "proving" ourselves as we are put to the test. If we are growing and using that discernment our love will grow and "abound", it will overflow.  The word abound implies significant, exponential growth.  His prayer for them would be that they continue to grow.  It would not remain the same or dry up but continue to increase. His prayer carries over to us today.

Read the old hymn below, "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty".  Ponder and discern what the Almighty can do through you.

1 Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise him, for he is your health and salvation!
Come, all who hear; now to his temple draw near,
join me in glad adoration.

3 Praise to the Lord, who will prosper your work and defend you;
surely his goodness and mercy shall daily attend you.
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
if with his love he befriends you.

4 Praise to the Lord! O let all that is in me adore him!
All that has life and breath, come now with praises before him.
Let the Amen sound from his people again;
gladly forever adore him.





Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches 

Philippians 1:3-11
English Standard Version

Thanksgiving and Prayer

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace,[a] both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, 10 so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.


No comments: