Thursday, February 16, 2023

Verse of the Day 2/16

Verse of the Day 2/16



Matthew 18:3-4
English Standard Version



and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.


If you follow sports, over the last few years your hear a lot of talk about someone in a particular sport being a GOAT, (Greatest Of All Time), There can be a great debate about it depending on where you are from, what sport, what team and what favorite player you followed and rooted for.

I recently saw that one of my childhood favorites had passed away.  Back in the sixties when I was a kid growing up in the Chicago area, my dad used to take me to Blackhawks hockey games and the star and arguably one of the greatsest of all time was Bobby Hull.  He was a star but what made him first in my mind was how he would stay long after the game each home game and sign autographs.  My dad brought me to back to back to back games and we stood inline and got autographs.  My dad told Bobby that the next game would be my 9th birthday and asked if he could bring me something because we'd be coming back to the next home game.  We returned with an autobiography of him which he signed "Happy 9th Birthday Johnny (that's my first name), best wishes Bobby Hull.  He also gave me a Blackhawks hockey puck. Fan for life.

Some stars shrug off signing autographs and I've always appreciated those who would take time to sign autographs and more with kids.  Perhaps it was because someone did the same for them when they were kids. Either way, they are an example of "humbling" themselves and reaching the heart of a child that comes to them.  It makes the childs day and makes them a fan for life.

What about Jesus? He shows us the example of taking time and never turning away a chld.  A child is not afraid to ask, and Jesus is always willing to meet His children wherever they are when they come to Him.

David McCasland writes, "Not many children seek position or power. Instead, they want acceptance and security. They cling to the adults who love and care for them. Jesus never turned children away. " 

When was the last time that you took the time with a child, got down on their level? When you do so, you just may become that childs friend for life.



Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Matthew 18:1-6
English Standard Version

Who Is the Greatest?

18 At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

"Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin,

 it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.


No comments: