Friday, February 2, 2024

Verse of the Day 2/2

Verse of the Day 2/2




Philippians 4:6-7
New International Version



Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Today's verses are some of my favorites and I've posted them many times over the years as the verse of the day.  I've often focused on the "peace that passes understanding" which I have seen exemplified by people close to me in my life.  Today I'd lke to focus on where this is rooted, it is rooted God guarding our hearts.

The word for "guard" in verse 7 is the Greek term phroureo means "to keep watch over", keeping axniety,stress, doubts and fears at bay.  I've seen this demonstrated by my son Jeff who has stated several times that he has "the peace that passes understanding" while needing full time care every day of his life.  I've seen it in my father through the years who dealt with a disability but never let that keep him down.  I've seen it in my wife Jean in her years long battle with cancer.  I'd say I don't know how they do it, but I do.  It is allowing God to guard their hearts and minds.  

We're told elsewhere in Proverbs to "guard your heart" and it is not wrong but behind our will is God's will for us to do that, keeping watch over us.

Reading these verses and dealing with the subject brought the Martin Luther hymn to mind.  He knew something of this peace that passes understanding.

1 A mighty fortress is our God,
a bulwark never failing;
our helper he, amid the flood
of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe
does seek to work us woe;
his craft and power are great,
and armed with cruel hate,
on earth is not his equal.

2 Did we in our own strength confide,
our striving would be losing,
were not the right Man on our side,
the Man of God's own choosing.
You ask who that may be?
Christ Jesus, it is he;
Lord Sabaoth his name,
from age to age the same;
and he must win the battle.

3 And though this world, with devils filled,
should threaten to undo us,
we will not fear, for God has willed
his truth to triumph through us.
The prince of darkness grim,
we tremble not for him;
his rage we can endure,
for lo! his doom is sure;
one little word shall fell him.

4 That Word above all earthly powers
no thanks to them abideth;
the Spirit and the gifts are ours
through him who with us sideth.
Let goods and kindred go,
this mortal life also;
the body they may kill:
God's truth abideth still;
his kingdom is forever!





Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Philippians 4:4-9
New International Version

Final Exhortations

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.


No comments: