Saturday, April 20, 2024

Verse of the Day 4/20

Verse of the Day 4/20



Psalm 31:19
English Standard Version



19 Oh, how abundant is your goodness,
    which you have stored up for those who fear you
and worked for those who take refuge in you,
    in the sight of the children of mankind!

The fear of the Lord is a common subject referenced many times in the Bilble, but especially in the Psalms.  We often think about it, at least I have, in terms of reverence and awe of God, not so much fo a fear of punishment or wrath.  In reading today's verse David pulls together the thoughts of fear and refuge.  It is hard to think of seeking refuge in something or someone that you are afraid of.

I read a devotioanl this morning where John Piper addresses this:

The fear of the Lord is the fear of straying from him. Therefore, it expresses itself in taking refuge in God. That's why two conditions are mentioned in Psalm 31:19 — fearing the Lord and taking refuge in him. "Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have 1) stored up for those who fear you and 2) worked for those who take refuge in you!" 

They seem to be opposites. Fear seems to drive away and taking refuge seems to draw in. But when we see that this fear is a fear of running away — a fear of straying from him — then they work together.

There is a real trembling in the heart of the saints. "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12). But it is the trembling one feels in the arms of a Father who has just plucked his child from the undertow of the ocean. It is the trembling at the terrible prospect of thinking we don't need a Father.


What struck me was the feeling after God's intervening in an event that we feel "where would I be without Jesus, without the Lord looking after me"?  When we realize that He is for us and He is there for us, and will be there for us we can seek Him in fear for refuge.

[Verse 1]
There I was empty-handed
Crying out from the pit of my despair
There You were in the shadows
Holding out Your hand You met me there

[Pre-Chorus]
And now where would I be without You?
Where would I be, Jesus?

[Chorus]
You were the voice in the desert
Calling me out in the dead of night
Fighting my battles for me
You are my rescue story
Lifted me up from the ashes
Carried my soul from death to life
Bringing me from glory to glory
You are my rescue story.  (Zach Williams - Rescue Story)








Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Psalm 31:17-24
English Standard Version

17 Lord, let me not be put to shame,
    for I call upon you;
let the wicked be put to shame;
    let them go silently to Sheol.
18 Let the lying lips be mute,
    which speak insolently against the righteous
    in pride and contempt.

19 Oh, how abundant is your goodness,
    which you have stored up for those who fear you
and worked for those who take refuge in you,
    in the sight of the children of mankind!
20 In the cover of your presence you hide them
    from the plots of men;
you store them in your shelter
    from the strife of tongues.

21 Blessed be the Lord,
    for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me
    when I was in a besieged city.
22 I had said in my alarm,[a]





    "I am cut off from your sight."
But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy
    when I cried to you for help.

23 Love the Lord, all you his saints!
    The Lord preserves the faithful
    but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.
24 Be strong, and let your heart take courage,
    all you who wait for the Lord!



No comments: